Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

So my husband and I have two dogs...Chloe 1.5 yrs (Hound/Pointer mix) and Clancey 1.5 yrs (black lab/beagle mix) we love them dearly and although they do know their basic commands (sit, down, stay, leave it) and are completely potty trained. They do have some traits that we need to work on with them.

I'd say their biggest is jumping up on people at the door and getting overly excited when they see another dog/person/cat/squirrel etc...when we're out walking.

Another thing we'd like to work on them with is staying off the furniture etc..when they are together they LOVE to play which is great, except when they are in PLAY mode..nothing else matters...they'll vault off the back of the couch...jump wildly on your lap...leap on the coffee table. Nothing else matters when they are in this state. We do corrections..time outs..etc..nothing seems to work! My husband and I would like to have children in the future and I'd be concerned having a infant/toddler in the house when they are like this.

Lastly...they love each other so much, so much that they have seperation anxiety from each other. There are times when I would like to take them to do seperate things...for instance...Clancey loves the water and my parents live on a lake...so I'd love to be able to take him out on the boat for a day and have some one on one time doing something with him that he loves. Chloe is afraid of the water and won't go near the boat...that type of thing. How can I ease their anxiety from each other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!

·
Banned
221 Posts
Jumping on people is pretty easily handled. Have them on a leash when the door is opened and don't give them the opportunity to jump on people. Keep them on leash while company is there. If they calm down when the visitors are still here, calmly put down your end of the leash and let them road while dragging the leash. As long as they behave, let them remain free. Once they get out of hand again, immediately pick up the leash(es) and keep them under control again until the calm down.

I have a fenced in back yard and when the dogs start the zoomie nonsense, I just open the back door and tell them "outisde" and they complete the zoomies outside. They had really rather be outside when they get in that state of mind anyway. Once they calm back down and get the energy released, they will come back to the door to come back inside.

These zoomies won't last forever. THey will eventually outgrow them.

I always recommend to people with multiple dogs to do things seperately with them. It will prevent what you are describing. I have varying numbers of dogs but I try to take one with me wherever I go. I take a different one each time.

When I am leaving the house, all the dogs will excitedly gather at the door. I will call one name that dog rushes out the door and the others go back to what they were doing. Depending on your living situation, you might want to call one name and when that dog comes up to you, put the leash on him and take him out the door while leaving the others inside.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately we don't have a fenced in backyard...or that would be great. I'd love to be able to just let them out when they get into crazy mode. Our living room is small too....thus the furniture vaulting! So they will outgrow this than...that's good to hear.

How about on walks though, when they get overly excited (cat/bird/another dog etc.) how do I snap them out of that?

So I should take them seperately for walks more often than? When the dogs thats left behind acts up should we just ignore them?

Thanks..I appreciate it!

·
Banned
221 Posts
In the case of being overly excited by creatures when walking, you would get him over the excitement the same way someone would get you over your excitement if you saw Brad Pitt standing in one of the yards you are walking by. :) Either let them watch a few minutes or drag them off. :) Dogs with a good prey drive are just going to be excited by seeing potential prey.

Yes, its good to do things with the dogs seperately. Walking would be a good activity but I wouldn't do it seperately every time. Maybe once a week or so. I take a dog with me in the car anytime I go anywhere except in the hot weather. I just leave the dog in the car and do my business. I went to the grocery store this morning and took a dog with me. We go out to dinner a couple of times a week and always take a dog with us. If I'm just going down to Walmart or the mall I will take a dog. I don't worry about who is left or how they feel about it. Sometimes I will come home and a dog is pouting because it didn't get to go but I just ignore that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts