Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We recently had a dog follow my kids home. We tried for the last several days to locate an owner, but we believe he was dumped. No one has responded to any ads or posters. After considering giving him away, we opted to keep him. We aren't sure where to start, though. We will get him to the vet as soon as they can see him, but I have some concerns until then.
First, he walks with his back arched all the time. It looks like he is about to poop. I figure that isn't a good sign, and something may be hurting him.
He also has an eye that is badly scratched up. He doesn't eat well, and after refusing dog food for the last couple of days, I gave him some bacon this morning (he wouldn't leave my side while I was making it). He pretty much inhaled it. It was gone in no time. So he will eat, but I've heard that table food isn't very good for them, so I was trying to avoid giving it to him.
He is still pretty scared of people, and acts like you would expect an abused dog to act. If we start walking in his general direction, he tries to hide. If we hold out a hand to him, sit down to play with him, etc., he will come to us. He seems to relax when we just pet him.
I don't know anything about his history. He seems like he has been very well trained at some point. He is so well behaved. He isn't hyper at all, like many toy dogs are. (I don't know his exact breed, but my best guess is a toy schnoodle. He is 5 or 6 pounds at best, and definately part poodle.) I don't know how old he is, or what, if any, shots he's had. I don't know how long he's been outside, and if he's still young or just incredibly malnourished. I don't know what kind of vet costs to expect, but I know that they aren't optional for him at this point. They are necessary. This is just what we can see from the outside. I don't know much about dogs, so I don't know what would be normal or abnormal. He has shown excitement when I got ready to take him outside. We played around a little and kept asking if he wanted to go outside, being playfully excited. He seemed to like that. He stood on his back legs and kind of jumped around towards me. So he isn't completely lethargic.
I've had another dog for a little over a year now, and the new dog is actually calming to her as well. She isn't as "bounce-off-the-wall" as she noramlly was, and they are very content around each other.
Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'd get him to the vet as soon as you can get an appointment. In fact, if your regular vet is booked out a while, I'd try getting him in to see another one. With food, you could mix in a smidgeon of canned food with his dry and see if that helps. Otherwise, though, a healthy dog won't starve himself and will eventually eat. But that's assuming he's healthy, which is why you should get him to the vet. Since you don't have his history, you'll probably start from the beginning with shots, but see what they say.

I'm glad that he will come to you when you hold out your hand. In fact, this makes me think he might not have been abused, but is instead skittish and unsocialized. Give him time and slowly introduce him to new things and people.

It's great that you've taken this boy in. I hope you'll update us with news from the vet. And we definitely need to see pictures!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts