Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning everyone,

I have a little Poodle, she's 4 years old, and about 8-9lb. I put her on a raw diet starting with drumstick, but because she's so small, I think a whole drumstick has too much bone for her, because i noticed her poo became white/chalky form.

What should I do in this situation, I don't want to chop the drumstick in half, just because I'm afraid she might chock or swallow a big chuck of it.

The only thing that's smaller than a drumstick is a chicken wing, is chicken wing a good idea?

I did some research on raw diet, but I notice most of the receipts are for larger breed dogs, what are some good bone choices for small breed dogs?

Since I'm new to raw diet, I wasn't sure if feeding meat, veggie, and some fruits would be sufficient for her, I feed her a frozen dog food (Tylee's frozen dog food, claims to be human grade) to her two or three days a week. Is it a good idea to switch between frozen food a raw diet?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I'd give the wings a try, or even chicken or duck feet to get the bone she needs. You also need to make sure she's getting the proper amount of organs (heart is considered muscle meat, by the way, not organ).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You could give her a section of the wing as a meal and add a bite or two of plain meat to that. A wing is much bonier than a drumstick even though it doesn't weigh as much. A single section is easy to swallow whole and may not be safe to offer. It's also very fatty because it has so much skin and fat is both not protein and harder for new to raw guts to deal with.

When I started my little dogs on raw I used bone in chicken breast. One side of ribs is the perfect amount of bone for them and I left on enough meat to make up the ounces required. When I started with new proteins it was easy to cut more meat off the ribs so I could substitute the new protein. Any leftover meat was used for our meals. Cooked of course! I was so pleased with Ginger's transition using this cut that I did the same with Bucky and will do so again.

That was to start out. Currently they are eating chicken heads which are twice the amount of bone they need so they get one every other day. As soon as the heads are gone they are getting chicken feet which are just about the right amount of bone per day. Then at least once a week they get something really big and fun, currently pork ribs or joints. Those are given when I have plenty of time to hang outside and watch them chew - sometimes for hours. Don't know where you can find just chicken heads or if you would even want to but feet are found at Mexican markets here. They are especially good for making chicken stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts