Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 4 month old shepard/husky x and he still nips and bits. We have tried everything, we have tried the yelping when he bits and leaving the room. Nothing has worked I have no idea what else to do. We do put him in his kennel when he does start bitting but that only works for a few minutes. It happens when he either wants to play or when he is told to do something he doesn't want to, it could even be waiting for a treat longer then he figures he should. If anyone has any advise that could help it would be great.

Also I am having issues on walks, have him to the point now that he doesn't pull on walks but if we run he will run off to the side for awhile but then he will run infront of me and if I am not paying attention i will trip on him. Any ideas? I would like to start jogging or riding the bike with him.

Also has anyone tried the video's "Dog Training Secrets"?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The nipping and biting is all about attention....it gets your attention. Instead of being reactive and trying to fix the problem on the back end work on it from the front end. He wants your attention but, has no idea how to get it unless he nips or bites you. What does he have to do to earn your time? That's the part that's missing here. Sitting politely, laying quietly, chewing peacefully on a toy are all the things that should draw your attention, time and praise. When you praise those activities, he will do more of them.
As for the running you need to train the side position throughout the various stages....first walking, then brisk walking, slow trot, fast trot, then a full blown run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We do say good dog when he is just chewing a bone or playing with a toy. We also hold a raw hide bone or chew stick well he chews it and everytime he makes eye contact with us he gets a "good boy". Or even when he is just laying down watching what is going around he gets a good boy or sometimes even a treat. I have found that if you tell him to say leave the kitchen foe example he will protest with barking and if you keep on telling him what to do he will eventually start to nip at my toes or will even try and nip the thigh or leg.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Teaching a dog to Come may weeks or months....teaching a dog to go away (out of the kitchen for example) may take years. Why the rush? That advanced training is obviously frustrating him at this point. All he understands is the banishment/social isolation (and balks at it) and doesn't understand why he has to leave. If you want him to leave....go with him and then either crate him or confine him.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
To add, just because you tell him to leave the kitchen, doesn't mean he knows what you want..

He is also still very young, so you have to show him how to do everything, and eventually a smart switch will flick on and you will be amazed.

If he nips at you, stop what ever you are doing and ignore him, don't put him in the kennel for punishment, he doesn't understand what your doing.

If he calms down when you ignore him, don't get him excited again, praise him lightly and go about your business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts