Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Need help with puppy destruction because of sepereation anxiety.

887 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  wvasko 
#1 ·
Hi there, my problem is that everytime I come home there are ripped books or shoes all over the floor. Now I have 2 dogs one female husky mix 8 month old, she had the same problem for about a month and then it stopped. My girlfriend was given the '' trouble'' puppy, he is a 3 month old black lab. So we work our 40h weeks, I get up at 6am and take them out for a 30-40 min walk.(we also take them out for good hour in the evening so they get theyre exercise)) I then feed them and we go to work. The little guy is almost tottaly clean, I get back at 5:30 pm and there isnt any buisness on the floor, but there are ripped books, and chewed items. This has only been happening since we got the second pup. I am aware that this is seperation anxiety, my female did this for a while too. I need some advice on if this will still go on for a while, and to know if purchasing a cage might be a good alternative( if yes I would also like to have suggestion on the recommended size for a 3 month old lab. Thank all very much!

#2 ·
It doesn't sound like SA at all. You have a puppy, running loose in your house when you aren't around to watch them... Yeah you are going to have a TON of chewed up things. Boredom will cause puppies to do that.

Crate training is a good thing for your dogs. The size needs to be at least big enough for the dog to stand up fully in and turn around without issues. If the dog is fully house broken then you can go as large as you like. Walmart has cheap cages. I have a 48" tall crate that I brought there for $80.

Just remember to actually crate train the dog before you toss him/her in it. Other wise you'll have a very freaked out dog on your hands.

#3 ·
For the dogs safety crating or confining to one room is your best option. If he's going to be a typical lab size then a 36"x24"x27" crate will work fine. If he's going to be on the slightly smaller side then a 32"x 20"x24" should work.

#4 ·
Keep the stuff (s)he is tearing up away from him, out of h(is)(er) reach. Does (S)He have stuffed toys? My dog has seperation anxiety and I slitted open his stuffed teddy bear and stuffed some of my hair in it so if any of you guys don't mind a hair cut I recomend it. It gives them your smell and makes them think you are around and close.:)

#5 ·
I am aware that this is seperation anxiety, my female did this for a while too. I need some advice on if this will still go on for a while, and to know if purchasing a cage might be a good alternative( if yes I would also like to have suggestion on the recommended size for a 3 month old lab. Thank all very much!

This isn't SA. This is typical behavior from a puppy (or untrained dog) who has the run of the house and no one supervising.

A crate is a good idea.

#6 ·
Get a crate. When you do just buy the crate sized that will accommodate the lab when it is full grown. If you buy a crate with a divider and increase the internal size as the puppy grows you will only have to buy the one crate.

Get Kong toys and stuff treats inside. The ball one is especially good for that. Try putting peanut butter in the ball along with treats and then freeze it. Give it to the pup when it is frozen and it will take him more time to get the treats out than if it was not frozen. You need to keep them occupied when your not home. Also being it is a puppy you might want to see if a friend or neighbor can take the puppy out during the time you are at work. This will not only let the puppy relieve himself but it will aid in potty training.

If the puppy is destroying things as well as unnecessary barking and whining and crying then it could be SA. If it is just destroying things then it is just boredom.

#7 ·
First I want to commend you for your courage in leaving young pup in home alone. You were fortunate with the older pup as that also could have been a minor disaster. Please get crate, another problem not mentioned is that one pup tearing up home could actually trigger older pup to start. 1 pup good, 2 pups 5 steps beyond insanity. Then some people decide to get rid of one pup. This dumping of one pup does happen as it is the easiest solution for some people. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.