Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the wisdom of the masses on this one. :)

When I'm sitting on the couch, Hershey likes to put her paws up on the cushions (or the end table or my legs) to get my attention because she'd like to join me - and many times she will join me, uninvited.

What I've tried and the results of each:
--ignoring her until she gets down; then I praise her with "off" but she interprets the praise as an invitation to jump on the couch

--getting up and walking away; no effect because she follows me wherever I go so me getting up is just as good as being on the couch with me

--telling her "off" while she's up; doesn't appear to be working and probably not effective since she doesn't know what "off" means :rolleyes:

Help - what do I do? :confused:

TIA
(I feel like I only post when I need help but, dang, if having a puppy doesn't eat up all those hours previously spent wandering the internet!!)

Side note: OMG, she is sleeping with all four paws straight up in the air right now. I would grab my camera but the silly mutt wakes up if I breathe loudly - no way I'm making it to the other room to get the camera!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
This is the way I taught off...I was dealing with a dog that would resource guard furniture.

Start with a sturdy object the dog can comfortably get on and off that has *no* history for the dog...if you are having trouble with them on the couch, for instance, don't start with the couch. I started with a closed Rubbermaid box with some old textbooks in the bottom for stability.

Next teach "up" and "off". You can do this by shaping or luring. Shaping is fun, but luring is simpler for most people. For luring, just take a treat (or toy, if that's what your dog loves best) and lure the dog up onto the box, then back off. Do this several times, and once s/he's getting the game, start adding the cue word.

Once your dog is up'ing and off'ing with glee to get those rewards, move the box around to different locations...then start using things besides the box. When you are confident the game is fun and reliable, you can generalize it to whatever you were having trouble with before.

Note: If you've been yelling 'off' at your dog for a while, you might want to pick another word.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i taught on and off a similar way. i just put her on a short leash held loosely. guided her on the couch (very easy! ) while saying "on!" and then praised and treated. i first taught her on like that. then after she understood on very easily i would teach her on, then take the leash again and guide her off the couch while saying "off!" and treated when she did. for both of these i also used a hand motion in the direction i wanted her to go to which helps with the verbal cue now that i dont use the leash again.

i use off for not touching stuff too like when she stands up and puts her paws on a short table or something. shes gotten smart though cause when i tell her off in that situation shell stay standing on her back two feet but just not touch the table so that she cans till be standing and see the food lol.

the two commands were very easy to teach though so i dont think you'll have a problem. just have some good treats and keep practicing =)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, Shaina, I read your reply and thought to myself..."duh, why didn't I think of that." LOL
I have an under-bed Rubbermaid box that should work well, too! This will be our Sunday night homework session. Thanks!

shes gotten smart though cause when i tell her off in that situation shell stay standing on her back two feet but just not touch the table so that she cans till be standing and see the food lol.
Yep, Hershey does that too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How's it going?
So far so good. She knows what "off" means but she's also smart enough to know that if she jumps up then mommy will have to pay attention to her in order to tell her "off." :rolleyes:

But the victory is that she puts her paws up once or twice before getting bored and moving on, whereas before the training she'd just keep putting them up over and over and over and over again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts