Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My roomate got a new puppy about a month ago, and she is driving me nuts. I am an animal lover, to the point of driving most normal people crazy. And I consider myself a decent dog trainer, but I do not know what to do with her. He did not pick the breeds in this dog she came from his parent's dog and thank god she was an only puppy. Her mother is a rat terrier/chihuahua mix with some other things in there I'm sure, her dad is a border collie. This mix is not good! But anyways the nightly routine is this....

I feed everyone sometime between 11pm-1am, I work weird hours, then put them in their kennels for the night. Shelby the puppy eats in her kennel so no one else can eat her food. Eric gets home around 2am (he's a cheif in a wine and cigar pub) takes her for a long walk to run out some energy, and let her do her thing. Then comes back home unwinds lets her settle then puts her in her kennel (which is in the middle of my two dogs, who are well behaved, calm and love their kennels) then sometime around 5 or 6am she beings to cry and squeak and wake everyone up. I'm not sure how to correct this we can't just let her cry cause she wakes us and our neighbors up. But at the same time I don't want to go down and giver her attention, weither it is positive or negetive or let her outside 'cause then she wins and continues to do this. My husband does put her outside when he gets up at 7am, but Eric well be moving out in Feb. and needs her to be able to sleep through the morning.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=58712364

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
301 Posts
she needs to go potty. That is why she is crying. She is far to young to be expected to wait that long between potty breaks. Take her out to potty and put her back to bed!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I know that but she is reaching the age where she can hold it for more than two hours. I have a 16lbs Boston Terrire who has been able to sleep through the night since he was about 3½ months. She's already the same size as him now. And it has begon to change lately from that I need to pee let me out cry to hey pay attention to me. And she has spent more than 2 hrs in her kennel before during the day as one of my attempts to teach her it okay and didn't do much more than an occasional whimmper.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
well I know that but she is reaching the age where she can hold it for more than two hours.
It seems like 2 AM to 6 AM is 4 hours. Get up and take her out and then go back to bed.

She's already the same size as him now.
Size doesn't matter, How OLD is she?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I agree with what everyone else says, her bladder is only good for about 4 hours, so get up and take her out (or have your roomie do it). Size really doesn't matter, I've raised Mastiff pups that are as big as my five year old Pug Frank when they came home at 8 weeks. Don't let the size of the dog fool you, she's still an INFANT and must be cared for as such.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
If she's consistently crying at 5 AM, then set your alarm for 4:45 and take her out. Gradually push it back another 15 minutes every week. It's hard, but there's really no other choice, and it's only for a couple more months while your dog grows up. Just because your old Boston could hold it doesn't mean this pup will be able to do the same. Different dogs will mature at different ages, and they have no control over it.

It sounds like you and your husband have different work schedules; you should try to use that to your advantage. How much overlap is there? What if you went to bed a little later, and your husband went to bed a little earlier? You could stagger your shifts a little, and take turns letting the dog out at different times.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My pup is 15 weeks!

I also work stange hours and put her out at 2:30-3:00am before I go to bed.

She still gets up at around 6am -6:30 to go out and pee. Beleive me, I would rather stay in bed and hid under the covers, but the last thing I want, is for her to start messing in her crate. she's starting to hold it longer, so I know sooner or later she'll be able to let me sleep longer.

Just take the pup out and then put her back in when she's done. That's what I do.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree with everyone here, she needs to go out and potty That is why she is crying. I have a westie pup and I put her to bed around 11-12 depending when I go to sleep, but she always wakes me up around 6 or 7 to go to the potty, then I just put her back in her crate or let her fall asleep with me. My puppy can hold it for 6 hours. I left her in her crate while i was at work, but that was a once in a time case and she refuses to potty in her crate. But as soon as i took her outside to expolded asap. So you or your room mate needs to take the puppy outside to pee.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the input, this did start as a she needs to go potty thing, but it is evolving and becoming a thing she does 'cause she thinks she can. When she is let out sometimes she doesn't even go, she sits at the back door looking at you and crying. She is old enough to hold it for up to 5 hrs I know she is I've seen her do it several times. I just don't know how to make the transistion from letting her out early, early in the morning 'cause she needs to go to making her stay in the kennel that extra hour or two until my husband gets up. Shes decided that 5am is playtime and normally I would let her cry and the only attention she gets is me covering the kennel, then when shes finally been quiet for a while I uncover the kennel. But that early in the morning its hard to do, 'cause we're asleep and our nieghbors are asleep. (we live in a duplex and share a wall with the neighbors)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I would follow the advice above and take her out to potty when she cries. Give her 10 minutes to potty outside and if she doesn't bring her back in, and put her in her crate with a stuffed kong.

I personally think it sounds like your roommate needs to take more responsibility for his puppy. I mean, it is great that you help him out with feeding and walking, but if she is disturbing you and your husband and your neighbours, he needs to step up. Ask him to move her crate into his bedroom. All puppy owners have sleepless nights for the first little while, let him experiences the true joys of puppyhood. ;)

I would follow the advice above and take her out to potty when she cries. Give her 10 minutes to potty outside and if she doesn't bring her back in, and put her in her crate with a stuffed kong.

I personally think it sounds like your roommate needs to take more responsibility for his puppy. I mean, it is great that you help him out with feeding and walking, but if she is disturbing you and your husband and your neighbours, he needs to step up. Ask him to move her crate into his bedroom. All puppy owners have sleepless nights for the first little while, let him experiences the true joys of of puppyhood. ;)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'm thinking that your roommate may be getting her worked up by walking/playing with her when he comes in at 2 and she is having a hard time settling back down....if you want her to eventually start sleeping between 11ish and 7, I would have him let her out to potty when he comes in and put her right back in her kennel with no fuss. I would also suggest feeding and exercising her at least two hours before you put her up for the night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts