Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two year old chihuahua and I got him about a year ago everything was fine but just needed a little training. After that he was good to go but here recently its a whole different story. He was an outside dog when I got him from his previous owners but I got him to be an inside dog and he loved it. I love this dog very very much and I don't know what else to do.. I have tried everything that I know. Well anyways this is what is going on.. Recently I will take him outside so he can go to the bathroom and do whatever else he is gonna do play with my other two dogs and then take him back in. Any more as soon as he comes back in he goes straight under my sofa and will refuse to come out and if either me or my husband stick our hand under the sofa he growls and snaps at us. He isn't fixed and I was wondering if that could help or is it something that I'm doing wrong... Just the other day one of my friends had to help me get my own dog out from under the sofa and even that wasn't an easy task.. He had to put his foot under the sofa then act like he was leaving for my dog to come out. He wasn't like this before I just don't understand why he is acting like this now :( I hope that some of you can give me a helping hand in what I can do to help this situation because he is not a bad dog.. I'm just stuck on what to do next thank you for your time and I hope that you can help me out

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Is there a problem with him hanging out under the couch? Does he stay there for hours? What about dinnertime? I think I would ignore him. If you're out there having fun and not paying any attention to him, he might get tired of the "game".

I would get him fixed. I'm not saying that's causing this odd behavior, but I"m a strong spay/neuter advocate. If there's no reason for him to stay intact, I would get him neutered. It might make a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried ignoring him completely and that does no good he will still stay there... During dinner sometimes he will come out for a little while then go right back.. I wouldn't have a problem with him going under there if only he didn't get aggressive that is the part that I'm overly concerned about. And yes he will stay there for hours

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a vet visit if this is new behavior. There is something wrong here and if it's not medical then something else is missing if "everything was fine" for a year. By that, I mean you say he needed a little training. I assume yiou meant socialization, basic commands, bite inhibition and potty training and now, things have fallen apart....hiding under the couch/afraid; biting...feeling threatened...more fear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts