Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 10 year old non-neutered male german shephard and his whole life hes been very aggressive, barking at everyone that passes by the house, even little kids. but the biggest problem i cant figure how to solve is him getting in fights with other dogs, if he incounters a female than usually ok mayb hell try to get frisky with her, but if its a male almost 100 percent he will jump on the dog and start a fight, ill yell at him NO, bad dog...but doesnt seem to work. Just the other day this very small cute dog just minding his buisness than my dog comes grabs it in its mouth and holds in the air for a few seconds before i could manage to yank my dog away, something out a horror movie and i could see the terror in his owner, so i said enough time to get help so please ne advice much appriciated. Want him to b more calm at peace and always wanted to b able to take him to one of those off leash dog parks
thanks

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You said "enough, time to get help," so you...decided to post on an anonymous internet forum? Sounds like you're taking this really seriously! You need to find a qualified behaviorist. Your vet should be able to recommend someone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that ur reply to everyone politely asking for help training their dog on their own? i wanted to give it a go first before going to a trainer, anyone?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I said "behaviorist," not "trainer." Not the same thing.

Yes that is what most people here will say to someone with problems that seem serious and that have gone on for a long time.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
hi i have a 10 year old non-neutered male german shephard and his whole life hes been very aggressive, barking at everyone that passes by the house, even little kids. but the biggest problem i cant figure how to solve is him getting in fights with other dogs, if he incounters a female than usually ok mayb hell try to get frisky with her,
Talk to your vet, see how he/she feels about neutering a 10 yr old dog. If they decline, then keep your dog away from females.

That's all the advice I can give you.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
I have some additional advice. Do NOT take your dog to dogparks or allow him to be around other dogs.

You have a problem that's been ten years in the making. It's not going to be solved on the Internet. One of these days, the authorities are going to make a decision regarding your dog and it will not be the dogs fault.

It will be yours.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have some additional advice. Do NOT take your dog to dogparks or allow him to be around other dogs.

You have a problem that's been ten years in the making. It's not going to be solved on the Internet. One of these days, the authorities are going to make a decision regarding your dog and it will not be the dogs fault.

It will be yours.
This^^^^. You need to keep your dog contained, and on a leash, so he can't attack other dogs. Keep out of dog parks. Do not let him off leash ANYWHERE that he can come in contact with another dog. At his age, you are not going to be able to trust him to be around other dogs.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Don't let him on leash anywhere he can come in contact with other dogs, either. How did he get close enough to attack the little dog?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
After 10 years, why are you allowing him access to other dogs? Same sex aggression is common in GSDs. I had a dog aggressive GSD mix for 12 years. I didn't give him access to other dogs after the first time.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Why have you let aggression carry on for 10 years? It took him almost killing someone's dog for you seek advice on the internet? .-.
You need to manage your dog. That's the only advice I can give. I mean, if you've been letting this go on for 10 years >_>

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is the best advise you'll ever get: keep the dog away from other animals and people, simple as that.

He seems like a really good dog because he didn't kill that little dog (if he wanted to he would do so) AND he didn't bite your face off. One or the other outcome is guaranteed with an aggressive GSD so I wouldn't say he's really actually aggressive.

With that said, just keep him away from anything other than yourself. I wouldn't waste time with trainers/behaviourists because it's not fair for such an old pooch. I would just be thankful of the fact that the dog is content with me and that all my limbs are still attached. If you have a yard, put up a warning sign and that's it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
This is the best advise you'll ever get: keep the dog away from other animals and people, simple as that.
Ditto

Geeeze at 10 yrs of age let him finish his life at home in peace.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There's really no need for the snarky comments, fellas. This isn't just a forum dedicated to housebreaking issues and parroting the same response isn't condusive either.

I'm sorry, OP. At this point, I can only suggest that you invest in a muzzle.
I wasn't being snarky. I really do not get it. It only took one time of seeing my dog try to kill another dog to realize that I had a problem to be managed. I trained him not to dislocate my shoulder on walks (he literally dislocated my shoulder trying to kill that dog), but I never gave him a chance at other dogs. The thought of being responsible for someone else's dead pet chilled me to the bone.

Also, I take my dog to the dog park. He loves it. He cannot get enough of running around like a loon. It scares me that people purposefully bring aggressive dogs to an off leash dog park, thus putting my beloved pet in danger.

There's nothing wrong with a dog aggressive dog or a same sex aggressive dog. It's a normal trait in dogs. You can never make a DA dog love other dogs, or an SSA dog love dogs of the same sex. What you can do is keep the dog on a leash, with a muzzle if necessary, every time you are in public.

Please, keep my dog safe. I love him very much.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
is that ur reply to everyone politely asking for help training their dog on their own? i wanted to give it a go first before going to a trainer, anyone?
You need a professional involved because you've failed to take contol of the situation for 10 years. In the mean time, keep your dog ON LEASH with muzzle if needed to prevent any further bites. Personally if I were the other dog owner and found out about your dogs history I'd have animal control all over you.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Unsocialized GSDs can be reactive and fear biters. The conventional advice for a puppy is to spend 2 - 4 months starting when the pup is 8 - 10 weeks old, introducing him to lots of people and lots of dogs. With a 10 yo dog, you'll need a professional to guide you through the next year of desensitizing and socializing... possibly with a muzzle. In any case, when you take the dog out, you probably need a muzzle, to keep everyone else safe.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yes imagine the roles reversed & it was your dog that was being attacked? You have to understand that ANYONE here can have this problem no matter what kind of do they have. As someone who takes the time to understand & train their dogs to not be dangerous if need be so ease forgive me if I let a long, exasperated sigh slip out when someone doesn't bother to.

That said, OP you need a qualified behaviorist if you are really committed to changing this dogs behavior, but at his age would be inclined to say that it's going to be more about management & prevention then modification.

Like mom says... An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Unsocialized GSDs can be reactive and fear biters. The conventional advice for a puppy is to spend 2 - 4 months starting when the pup is 8 - 10 weeks old, introducing him to lots of people and lots of dogs. With a 10 yo dog, you'll need a professional to guide you through the next year of desensitizing and socializing... possibly with a muzzle. In any case, when you take the dog out, you probably need a muzzle, to keep everyone else safe.
I read this thread, as a fellow GSD owner. Your dog reminds me of Kevin, my old rottie. He hated other dogs. Was extreemly aggressive toward them. But to our family members, he was a jewel of a dog. Always watching over my children for me. Pulling my toddlers away from the fire, by its nappy. Kevin didnt trust the fire gaurd to do his job. Just because he needed to challenge another dog, DOES NOT, in my opinion, make this dog likely to bite its owner. My dog was never aggressive with me, my husband or our children. the numerous supply of kid visitors to our house of 3 children in teenage. But would be nasty as all hell to other dogs. And 8 stone lunging from your shoulder joint is not fun for owners.
Simply minimise the potential harm with on leash only and muzzled if you like, when out in public. and loads of fun life at home. 10 yrs you two have been managing this situation, deeply ingrained are your patterns. At this age, its easier to change the environment, than the owner/dog combo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts