Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone on here can help me out because I don't know what to do with my Labrador pup!!
I got Bailey when he was 2 months old, he's now 10 months old, apart from usual doggy things such as biting everything while young etc he seemed fine but recently he's going mental, apart from when he's tired he's constantly hyper and extremely hard to calm him down, he's also constantly sniffing my mom which drives her crazy
He sniffs me from time to time but just always at my mom, she can't even hang out the washing without him sniffing her or jumping on her.
He also gets very bitey when I smack him on the nose to let him know he's done something wrong
If he's not asleep and sees someone in the kitchen he looks in the window knocks on it and will continuously bark till someone lets him in, he's driving my family insane and aw don't know what's wrong, someone said its because he's not neutered I just need a piece of mind to let me know if it's the not neutered thing or not!!! Any replies would be appreciated as I adore my puppy but he's getting to much so please

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not surprised he's biting if you are smacking him!!

Neutering alone does not change most behaviours. Your dog is a teenager. He's learning and testing his boundaries.
Train him, don't hit him.

And the mum thing.... dogs have very sensitive noses, as I'm sure you are aware. If it were me, I'd be tempted to go for a medical check. Dogs can pick up on things that we humans aren't even aware of. Infections, hormonal changes, cancers etc

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Okay, I see a couple of problems with what you've said and can maybe offer some advice. First, a few questions - how much exercise does Bailey get? How many walks per day? How much time do you devote to one-on-one training?

It sounds like you're dealing with a high energy breed that isn't getting enough physical or mental stimulation.

Advice: First of all, stop smacking him on the nose. Don't ever smack your dog. Period. You say you smack him when he has "done" something wrong - he doesn't understand getting smacked now for doing something wrong 5 minutes ago. Dogs live in the moment. He doesn't understand what you're doing and probably gets bitey because he's confused about the message you're sending.

It sounds like you're using negative training methods and not positive reinforcement. Smacking him on the nose is just one piece of evidence that makes me think that way. When he's performing an unwanted behavior, you need to redirect him to perform a behavior you want and then reinforce the positive.

Does he live outside? Why is he outside barking at the window to get in unless he's sleeping? What does your mother do when he sniffs/jumps on her?

These behaviors are not because he's not neutered. He'd be a bored, vocal Lab whether he was neutered or not.

Please answer the questions I've asked and perhaps myself and other forum members can give you some pointers in the right direction.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I think your dog probably needs a lot more mental and physical exercise. If you aren't sure where to start, there are some great trick training tutorials on YouTube. Teaching tricks is a great way to bond with your dog, give them a mental workout, and teach good alternatives to the things you don't want to see.

For example, he's jumping and barking at the kitchen window because it gets him what he wants - someone lets him in. Basically he's being rewarded for the bad behavior. Try teaching him an alternative to "ask" to come inside, like sitting politely or performing another specific trick or behavior, whatever you like.

But yea, neutering doesn't have anything to do with it IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He gets 1/2 walks a day one by me and one by maybe my dad or brother, yeah I understand about the smacking on the nose. He sleeps outside in a dog box but is in and out of the house during the day. If he sees one or more people in the kitchen he immediately wants to be inside. When he'd sniff my mom shed usually try telling him to sit or try to throw a ball to get him to go in the opposite direction just so she can get inside without him noticing, I just need good advice as I'm in school 5 days a week and my dad and brothers work but there's always company for him whether it's family neighbours or my grandmother next store he gets a lot of attention day to day

·
Registered
693 Posts
why have a dog if they live outside???? Especially a lab! They CRAVE activity, not just laying around.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
A 10 month old lab needs more than a short walk a day and slight companionship from a neighbor.
Consider bringing your dog inside. Labs are family dogs, not at all independent. They want to be with their family and running in and out a few times isn't enough interaction.

Even if you're walking him for an hour a day -which I doubt- it's not enough for a young lab. He needs either more walks, or that hour long walk then throwing a ball around and some daily training to work his mind.

And smacking him will solve nothing.

Spend time with him, teach him. Leaving him in the yard will teach him nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to chime in to agree with everyone else:

1. bring him inside. Your dog is not suited to be an outside dog, esp. if you are in school and he's not getting mentally stimulated. You'd be bored too if you were him.
2. train him. a lot! Consider paying for classes so you can bond together under the guidance of someone with experience. From what you've posted it seems that you don't have much training experience.
3. much more exercise every single day. You brought home a high energy dog, that means 2+ hours of exercise DAILY to keep him satisfied and games to keep him mentally satisfied. The more exercise the better since he is still a puppy and has energy to burn.

It seems you love your dog, but don't have a lot of time to devote to him. Please consider getting a dog walker while you're at school and reading a few books on positive training methods. Hitting him in any way might make him aggressive and that is really hard to come back from. I hope you take what everyone is saying to heart and the best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts