Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperately needing help here - we have a 5 month old Standard Poodle "Nola". We got her at 10 weeks and have been diligently housetraining her - mostly me. She immediately goes pee when she goes out to the backyard, poops with no problem. She knows why she's out there. We also have two older dogs who are completely housetrained. She's crated when we are not home, which is usually only once a week when my husband and I are both not home. She does not have accidents in her crate. She actually sleeps in the bed with us - she is afraid to jump off the bed and does not have accidents in the bed - she will hold it all night. However, if I let her loose in the house for more than 90 minutes she will sometimes pee in the kitchen - it seems as though she doesn't understand she needs to hold it until she goes outside. She has done this over the last week once a day. She does not have poop accidents in the house. I thought we had a housetrained dog but now I'm going to go back to keeping her on a leash or crating when I can't watch her. This is really hard because housetraining is very important to me - I have had several dogs including fosters and trained many. The only dog that gave me grief was our other female standard poodle - she was a rescue so we didn't know how old she was (she could have been elderly) but she would do the same thing. But I did not initially housetrain her - she came to us much later in life. Thoughts? How can I help my new dog - is it too late to have her fully housetrained?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Does she signal that she needs to go outside? Take her out every hour if she needs to potty every 90 minutes. A five month old pup cannot hold for long, she probably only has a few seconds between urge and need to void her bladder.

My two are at opposite ends of the spectrum bladder wise. One can go potty 3x a day and the other needs to go 3x in the hour after dinner alone so there's that as well. I had no idea!

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
I agree, you're probably asking her to hold it too long while loose in the house. She may be able to hold it all night while she's sleeping and inactive, but if she's awake and wandering about, she won't be able to. Take her out more often. If she's having accidents at every 90 minutes, take her out ever hour. If she still can't hold it an hour, take her out every 30 minutes. Make sure she is always supervised!

Additionally, most dogs don't have fully developed bladders until 6+ months old. The time between "I don't have to go" and "I have to go NOW!" is so very slim for pups that age, still.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts