Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I'm a new member to this forum and this is my first thread. I tried tp research my topic without any luck.

Let me give you some back ground info.

I have a dog, bijon frise, for 3 years. Who's name Benny. Unfortunately we didn't spend much time socializing him when he was a puppy. He mostly stayed in the house and we let him out on the backyard. Some times we would go for a walk with him. Back then we didn't really realize how not socializing him will hurt in the long run. As a result with time Benny started to get scared during walks, became unfriendly to people and dogs on the street. His favorite thing became to go for a drive. Where he developed strange habit to bark on other dogs from the car, but if you let him out from the car next to the dog he just barked at, he would try run away without looking.

While at home, Benny is very friendly to the people who walk in. He easily chases raccoons and cats from the backyard. But when somebody comes with the dog to our house, Benny usually runs to the different floor.

On x-mas we received puppy as a present. 2 weeks old coton de tulear, named Vinny. This guy is crazy, playful, and fearless. I keep him on the second floor where i live. While Benny moved to the first floor, where my mother lives. I pay a lot of attention to Vinny but still try to pay as much attention to Benny.

Every time both of the dogs are in the same room same story happens. Vinny will chase Benny down to the stairs to the first floor. When the door o the first floor is closed Benny would start to crawl and bark on Vinny but wouldn't bite. It still wouldn't stop Vinny from bordering Benny.

At this point i don't know what to do. It was almost one moth and the situation haven't changed. Before Benny used to greet me every time but now he even would come up to the second floor. He stays on the sofa all day.

I would appreciate any advises on how to get them to get along

I researched dog training service and they quote me $1000. Unfortunately i can't afford it at this time except if it absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Somebody took a puppy from it's mother and littermates at two weeks of age? That's just cruel..
Hopefully you meant two months.

I would generally suggesting walking the dogs together (two different people, one person per dog) but it sounds like that may not be an option. Make sure all interactions between them are good ones. Lots of treats for calm behaviors, perhaps crate them (if they're crate trained) within site of each other but not to close to each other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts