Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know how to make this short, but to get to know her, I have to tell you her background. Which in her case is LONGGGG!

She was born in a PM, only to have litter after litter. The PM was shut down (THANKGOD), dogs/puppies were either be put down or adopted. She was "adopted" by another A**hole who had her for a year, which made her have 3 litters in one year!
From her teeth she looks older than 6 years, but she acts like a puppy. She eats very well, she LOVES being with ME, she get very excited to be outside, she does this little dance. Shes scared of men, which is understandable. Kids she doesnt care for, another animals shes fine.

How do I get her to be social? Play with toys? Want to be with other people. Im not sure where to start. Shes my first PM dog and I dont want to do wrong, I want her to live a long loving life...any advice will help:)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
i have a dog who used to be very scared of men. he would pee he was so scared. I started out with having people just sit down beside me. They were not allowed to look,touch or speak to him. Just keep eye contact with me and ignore him. He had to come to them and even when he would come they were not allowed to touch him. once he got more comfortable with them I gave them hot dogs and they could through them to him. He started to learn men=hot dogs. it took about 3 months just to get him used to my dad and 2 of my uncles though. Then after about 5-6 months he was comfortable with a lot more men. During that time if I was walking and a man asked to pet him i simply said "no, he is in training" and leave it as that. Now he tries to drag me to go see people(men or not). There is one of my uncles though if he got near would attack him. Bentley is my only dog ever that has liked him. if Tank is walked past this said uncles truck he tries to attack the tires(and has). We don't know why. The only thing we could think of is my uncle did something to him while we were on vacation and his son was caring for Tank. because when we got back he had a little fear again but soon got over it.

With kids, start with older kids and do the same thing for men. Slowly work your way down. She may never be comfortable around them though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are some resources online if you google "adoption a puppy mill dog". Take things slow, don't push. she may never really play with toys and that's fine. you can slowly desensitize her to people and other things but slow. Also - do not pity or baby her. have rules, train her, don't let her get away with everything.

here is just one link on puppy mill pups
http://www.kismutt.com/canadapup/adoptingasurv.html

I also always recommend talking to a trainer-behaviorist for first hand tips and suggestions.

ETA: this is also a good book: http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB586&AffiliateID=46103&Method=3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the advice.

We're outside right now, and I usually have to sit in the grass for her to use the "potty," but Im sitting on thr patio and pointed and said go potty and she went. She looks back at me to see if Im still near. I try not to baby talk her, but its soooo hard knowning her past, I never thought to let my husband or FNL feed her, my FNL would love that! What I notcied also, she doesnt like when my other kids (dogs) get near me, thats a big NONO so that will have to be put to a stop. Honestly, Im scared if I say no, point or talk in a firm voice, shell think Im "abusing" her. I know its silly. I guess food is the key, and rules. :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
FFFFF WAIT

The organization rescued these dogs, only to let them go to new homes IN TACT?!
DINGDINGDING We have a winner! And the WTF award goes toooo...

Was it a shelter/rescue/etc. that busted these people or... I mean, I'm just confused as to what sort of rescue organization would allow a brood bitch whose spent her entire life pumping out puppies, go to a new home in tact.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dogs do have memories of their past to an extent but they are more than willing to let go of any past experiences for a better future. Plain and simple, they all want to move on. Treating her as if she's damaged only keeps her that way, when you move on from her past, she'll move on. When I work with cases where the dog has been abused, I do my best to keep the bad experiences out of my head, and just treat it like it's just any other dog with issues.
The only way she can get over her fear of men is for a man to help her and show her men aren't bad. So definitely try to get your husband to feed her and make sure your present to show him what to do, just in case he doesn't know. Let him play with her, hang out with her, etc. The longer she is around men, the more she'll relax around them. Heck tell your husband to bring the "guys" over and let them all hang out around her. Just make sure she doesn't get too scared.

There's nothing wrong with setting rules, boundaries and limits so if you want to say "No" then don't be scared to. Letting her do anything she wants keeps her in a bad state of mind because she'll just do what she knows, which includes being "damaged".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FFFFF WAIT

The organization rescued these dogs, only to let them go to new homes IN TACT?!
DINGDINGDING We have a winner! And the WTF award goes toooo...

Was it a shelter/rescue/etc. that busted these people or... I mean, I'm just confused as to what sort of rescue organization would allow a brood bitch whose spent her entire life pumping out puppies, go to a new home in tact.

All I know is she was born in a PM, the place got busted, and somehow she ended up with another "owner" who mated her until she couldnt anymore. Gave her away to his girlfriend who couldnt take care of her right, she happens to the sister of my moms boyfriend. They all know I love animals and will never close the door on one. Either than that, thats all I know. She will be getting fixed and will be loved until its her time. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dogs do have memories of their past to an extent but they are more than willing to let go of any past experiences for a better future. Plain and simple, they all want to move on. Treating her as if she's damaged only keeps her that way, when you move on from her past, she'll move on. When I work with cases where the dog has been abused, I do my best to keep the bad experiences out of my head, and just treat it like it's just any other dog with issues.
The only way she can get over her fear of men is for a man to help her and show her men aren't bad. So definitely try to get your husband to feed her and make sure your present to show him what to do, just in case he doesn't know. Let him play with her, hang out with her, etc. The longer she is around men, the more she'll relax around them. Heck tell your husband to bring the "guys" over and let them all hang out around her. Just make sure she doesn't get too scared.

There's nothing wrong with setting rules, boundaries and limits so if you want to say "No" then don't be scared to. Letting her do anything she wants keeps her in a bad state of mind because she'll just do what she knows, which includes being "damaged".

VERY good advice, from this day forward, I will not think nor talk about her past, its her past and shall not get brought up ever again. :)
I never thought about that neither, as much as I hate his friends, I guess it wouldnt hurt..l0l

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would let the dog get used to the husband first, then SLOWLY start increasing the number of males in the house at one time - she could really have a meltdown if she feels overwhelmed.

Potsie (now age 4) was apparently severely abused for the first year and a half to two years of his life by one or more males, and even though I've had him for 2 years now, he still is fearful of most men, especially if they talk in a loud voice. He loves my husband (but still barks at him when he first gets home - go figure!) and my very quiet BIL. He absolutely HATES my son, who's loud. He's good with all women so far.

Potsie also won't play with toys even now, although he'll gather them around him in his chair to take them away from Maddie - lol. When we have company coming over, we put him in our bedroom with the door shut for several minutes, so he can feel safe and get used to the noise of the company. Then, I bring him out and ask people to ignore him unless he approaches them. This works really well. It's who he is, God love him...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Don't bring over men that you can't trust to follow your instructions. You want people who will be gentle and can feed her without spooking her or getting frustrated...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice. She'll take some work, But itll be worth it too me.
Shes starting to catch on to a bad habit, which its going to be hard to break. I have to be in the grass with her or she wont use the potty. Yesterday I pointed and said potty and she went, but after that nope. My cat doesnt like her, and scares the crap out of her, Murfee can be a jerk once in a while, but hopefully theyll get use to one another.
Once again thank you guys for all the advice :) Ill post pictures soon, when she isnt scared of the camera..

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Don't bring over men that you can't trust to follow your instructions. You want people who will be gentle and can feed her without spooking her or getting frustrated...
Yes and please do not rush anything, 1st she must get faith in your husband only then add another man to the mix. At least that's the way I would try it.

You will be watching/protecting her so there is rigid time schedule to adhere to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts