Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to an apartment from a house, we have a senior puggle that always used to go in the yard but now we have to walk him for bathroom trips. He lunges and barks at any person or dog that walks by, he growls and snaps too. My husband takes him in the morning before work and the evening, he can keep him restrained but I am disabled and can’t work outside the home so the rest of the day is on me. I am a lower leg amputee, I can walk on a prosthetic with crutches very briefly to a set of stairs at the end of the hall, I sit there and let him wander on the retractable leash to use the bathroom. If I notice someone coming I try to pull him to me but due to some complications from other injuries I received besides my amputation I don’t have much arm strength either. I don’t know if he would bite but it seems like he wants to. I don’t know if he’s being protective or what, he did used to be extremely protective over the yard and bit anyone that tried to get in while he was out there. He has also nipped at people’s pant legs inside when they arrive or leave so maybe he is just guarding his space.

Another issue is he howls if he’s left alone, which is not often, it wasn’t an issue with the house but now we’re in an apartment so it needs to be worked on.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ok the lunging is a problem one compaint and you will have animal control on your door.

Try using the retractable as a training tool and start indoors. Take some treats let him go off to the end of the lead and then call him rewarding when he comes back. This is something you can later use when outdoors.

Are you using a harness with your retractable? You should always use a harness with one of those leads and if possible get one that has a front loop to fix the lead to so that its easier to steer your dog away from people /dogs etc but if you panic and pull him everytime he sees someone he is getting the message from you that that person /dog is a scary thing so try the calling with treats..
Its best to reduce his food a bit and make up that weight in tasty treats he will be more likely to come if he knows you have something yummy like roast chicken or cheese..

You can also train him the look at me.. Ive done this to stop our beagle adoptee from barking at people.. I held a treat near my chin and said look at me (of course in the beginning he looked at the treat) as soon as he fixed eyes on me I treated him.. again and again..to keep his attention after the person passed saying good boy and letting him walk on. As time passed I could leave the treats in my pocket and if he started to get intertested in something / somone say 'look at me' and he will abruptly sit down and stare because he knows this means hes getting a treat..

maybe these positive training methods will help him see that other people or dogs mean he is to return to you and get a treat.. and stop him from barking or lunging.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts