Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just adopted a beautiful mutt. He has been home with me 3 days. At night he sleeps in his crate (a travel size bag). Wanted to make him pp indoors in the bathroom but he just wouldn't so I just took him to the balcony and it worked! He is just turning 8 weeks.
Our routine starts at 6-7 am I take him out the crate to the balcony. He does his business and we go eat in the kitchen. We play for about 20-30 mins he p&p again and go into his crate until 11am-12 pm. Repeat. Repeat again around 5-6pm. Before going to bed at 10 we play. He does pp and off to bed. Around 430 am I take him out to pp.
I really don't like to have him the whole day in the crate so I have prepped the bathroom with a gate and pads so it can be his "play pen" so he only goes to his crate at night. I am wondering if this is ok. He cries either way. In the crate or the bathroom. I just want him to have a little bit more space.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Is the crate a wire type that is the size of a travel bag?

Perhaps a piece of clothing with your scent on it placed in the crate will help at night.
The bathroom with pads and gate sounds great.

Is it possible that your pup could fall off balcony?

Any time spent together for play or training will be a great bonding tool and fun too.

I would make sure the bathroom is puppy proof to keep your beautiful mutt safe and give something a kong to chew on.

Be careful about contact with other dogs or walking where other dog P&P until all shots given.

Good Luck , oldhounddog

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply!

The crate is actually a puppy travel bag. I removed the bed it comes with because he pp on it. Do I need an actual wired crate? I have been thinking about it.
I will absolutely try my piece of clothing. Im still learning the difference between the take me out of here cry and the I NEED to get out of here one.

I have the luck of being on the first floor, there is a gate that leads to the pool, so I stay with him the whole time he is in the balcony as soon as he is done, we come inside. I have thought of placing the bathroom gate in the balcony while we are there so I can rest a little and he can "explore".

We play a lot... it is more fun for me than for him I think! ;)

I put a blanket, a chew toy and a ball in the bathroom...

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I think a wire crate is better for longer crating because the air circulation is so much better. I think the soft travel crate would get stuffy and hot and air wouldn't circulate well.

Our (7m/o) puppy has been in an expen during the day and a crate at night. At first he was in an expen WITH the crate in it, and he'd sleep in the crate. Eventually we shrunk the pen until he was just in the crate, and he sleeps there at night, but still gets the full room of the expen during the day.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A new pup is lonely and may cry for as long as 3 days and nights when left alone. If you can persist without running back to comfort him for about 3 more days, then he may stop. You can also give him a stuffed Kong to chew on, when you leave him alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts