Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i am new to this forum.
i really need help from you people.
basically i am an animal lover person, and my family doesn't like animals, pets etc etc
nowadays i am really very depress and i thought i should keep a puppy who is friendly so i started search and find a LABRADOR best for me.
that's not a problem if my family doesn't like a dog because i think i can keep it for me. i keep loving him then he will be OK with me
but the problem is that i study and i go to university and labs can't live alone and they are easily bored
what should i do?? because i am desperate for a dog . i love them so much. . .
please help me!!

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
You don't tell us much about your situation. Are you a minor living with your parents?

If so, and they don't like dogs, it certainly CAN be a problem. It takes a household to raise a dog - especially a puppy - and everyone needs to be on board.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have two dogs and go to both university and work. BUT I live with my boyfriend who has a schedule that can accommodate the dogs, and I spend quite a bit of time with them daily. I sacrifice a lot of my social life for them. If your family doesn't like animals, it's unfair to get a dog and then force them to care for it while you're busy. ESPECIALLY a Labrador puppy. It probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I would wait until you are more stable and have real time for a dog. If you insist on getting one, I'd recommend adopting an adult from a shelter- they will be much easier to look after than a puppy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Raising a dog is a lot of work and requires a lot of time. I'd suggest maybe consulting a doctor if your depression is severe first. Maybe getting a dog could be a future project to motivate you to get better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
When I was having a bad day while living at my university I would go and volunteer at the local animal shelter. I called it "dog therapy" and it always worked for me. I got my doggie fix, it always cheered me up, and it helped tons of animals at the shelter. I would advise doing something like that before you make a dog a permanent part of your life, especially since you are still in school with a busy schedule and the rest of your family aren't took keen on the dog idea.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
When I was having a bad day while living at my university I would go and volunteer at the local animal shelter. I called it "dog therapy" and it always worked for me. I got my doggie fix, it always cheered me up, and it helped tons of animals at the shelter. I would advise doing something like that before you make a dog a permanent part of your life, especially since you are still in school with a busy schedule and the rest of your family aren't took keen on the dog idea.
this is great advise

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Based on the information you've provided, no. I wouldn't suggest getting a Labrador puppy.

I raised a puppy while at college, but I had the help and support of my family and boyfriend. Whenever I knew I'd be extra busy (during exams, for example), I knew I could count on my family or boyfriend to help watch Dexter. If your family doesn't like dogs, you shouldn't force one upon them. It's not fair to them, or the dog. So unless you're SURE you can commit to a puppy's needs 100% of the time, AND go to school, you should not get one.

Also, I would not count on a puppy as a "quick fix" for depression. Sure, they're cute and lovable, but they're also stressful, needy, and often, overwhelming. Heck, somebody posts about having "second thoughts" after getting a new puppy almost on a weekly basis here. I think, in the long run, dogs provide lots of love and companionship that can help ease someone out of depression. But it's really something you should talk to a doctor about, and not rely on a puppy for.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Also, I would not count on a puppy as a "quick fix" for depression. Sure, they're cute and lovable, but they're also stressful, needy, and often, overwhelming. Heck, somebody posts about having "second thoughts" after getting a new puppy almost on a weekly basis here. I think, in the long run, dogs provide lots of love and companionship that can help ease someone out of depression. But it's really something you should talk to a doctor about, and not rely on a puppy for.
They can actually make your depression worse. I've had a friend who did get a dog to be happier and the puppy was just overwhelming. Since she felt everything she was doing with the puppy wasn't going as planned, she felt like a failure. She was also spread so thin and wasn't doing so well in school. In turn made her shell up and resent the puppy and resent school because in her mind she couldn't do simple things right. A dog can be a great companion for someone depressed but it depends on the situation and how your depression manifests/why you're depressed. Even so, consulting a professional and having a course of treatment is what will help you in the long run to feel better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First off I would like to say that I can identify with your situation. My dog died at the end of my senior year in highschool. When I went to college shortly after I was DESPERATE for a dog. I even researched and found a breed that I thought my parents would love so that I could "have" a dog during college. But the fact was that they would be responsible for taking care of it while I was at school all day, 5-6 days a week. If the entire family is not on board, it is just not a good idea. Both you and the dog will be miserable.

On the other hand, if you want it enough you can make it work. Once I graduated and had the financial resources to take care of him my family had a different mindset. It wasn't that they didn't want a dog, they didn't want to be responsible for one. I spend almost $40 a week on dog care, and that is pretty cheap. The initial costs for vaccines, vet visits, and neutering ran me around $1000 in the first 6 months. Not to mention the time it takes to train the dog, and train everyone who would be taking care of him. It sounds ridiculous but this animal is literally my kid. I can't be anywhere for over 6hrs without making arrangements for him to be taken care of (which usually costs money...).

So ask yourself this, and be honest with yourself. If your family is not willing to even help with the dog, then it probably won't work. If they simply don't want the responsibility of always taking care of him while you are away you might be able to figure something out, but it is probably going to cost you a substantial amount of money, time, and sleep :) So are you ready for that while you are busy with school and studying?

P.S. regarding dogs and depression, it depends on how you use that word. One of the reasons I got mine was because I was bored with my life, and it was leading me to feel depressed. Get up, go to work, go to bed, repeat. I had no reason to go do things so I didn't. I knew that if I got a dog I would be forced to be more active. In the interest of socialization I was looking forward to taking him everywhere with me, getting out of the house and doing things instead of staying home and watching tv. But if you are actually experiencing clinical depression, where it requires work to motivate yourself to go get the mail, or make dinner, or get out of bed in the morning, you should probably be a little more careful about adding another stressor to your life...

eh just my 2 cents anyways

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't know if this has been suggested already but why not volunteer once or twice a week at a shelter. The dogs would love to have somebody to spend time with them and walk them. Puppies and older dogs are a lot of work! It won't help that your family doesn't like dogs. I love my puppy but when I first got him I was so tired and so stressed out that I actually started feeling depressed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm of the opinion that if you have to ask the question, the answer is probably no.

I love the idea of volunteering at a shelter, I think that's a superb compromise and a great benefit to animals in need as well as to yourself.

Consult a doctor immediately about your mental health issues. I have severe anxiety that is under treatment over the last 15 years and will be under treatment for the rest of my days. Without that personal treatment I'd be useless as a human being to just about everyone, including a dog.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
What a great idea!

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you're living at home with mom and dad, and they are not crazy about dogs, I would say no. They will be calling the shots. I know how tough it is, I didn't get my own dog till 33 years old :eek: but he has been well worth the wait!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thankyu all of you!
i guess i shoudn't keep a puppy now, may be this is not a right time for me :(
and this is not what i said, my family doesnt hate dogs, actually they are scared of them and think that the dog will bite them :p
may be its because i belong to such a family where no one is excited to keep pets. And i dont know why i love pets =)
i was thinking by any means my university hours are managed (i mean if at that time dog /puppy can live alone after that the rest of the day i'll give my full to him) but as you guys are experienced and have more knowledge about this so i guess i shuold start to change my mind now

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
thankyu all of you!
i guess i shoudn't keep a puppy now, may be this is not a right time for me :(
and this is not what i said, my family doesnt hate dogs, actually they are scared of them and think that the dog will bite them :p
may be its because i belong to such a family where no one is excited to keep pets. And i dont know why i love pets =)
i was thinking by any means my university hours are managed (i mean if at that time dog /puppy can live alone after that the rest of the day i'll give my full to him) but as you guys are experienced and have more knowledge about this so i guess i shuold start to change my mind now
You're welcome :) When you have free time, volunteer at a shelter, as others have suggested. It will really help get you ready for your own dog -- and it's a lot of fun, in the mean time! You can also use this time to research reputable breeders or even better, rescue organizations. Start making contacts and learning as much as you can about your future dog. Then, when you're done with school and able to devote enough time to a dog, you'll surely be ready.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts