Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 week old pomeranian/poodle mixed puppy tries to eat everything (both outside and inside). He's never eaten a rock but he's chewed on them and even chews and swallows grass,bird poop,thread,or crumbs that fall on the floor. I've tried searching on google for other people who might have this problem and most of the answers concluded that their dog wasn't getting the nutrients from the food. I'm not sure if this is the case because he does eat his food but when i put it out for him he only eats it when he's done playing around(this makes me assume hes not hungry) then when i take him outside he'll try to chew and eat everything! If this really is this case then i'm not sure how to go about transitioning his food to another that has those nutrients and along with something he'll like.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood. Wanting to chew and/or eat everything in sight has nothing to do with their diet, but rather the fact that, like human toddlers, puppies explore their world with their mouths. Now is the time to start training "leave it" and "trade". This https://fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/24 is an online class you can take that addresses a lot of puppy basics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A pup that eats everything will take a while. I had the same problem before but at 10 months old (I thought she was 11 before), it has drastically decreased. She's a pom btw. Made me worry a lot because she was pooping wood and other inedibles and puking pieces of cement, paper, plastic, etc.. I guess she just outgrew it. It was an endless cycle of stress and worry. Always worried that she might swallow a pin or get intestinal blockage from something so I know your pain which will get a lot worse by 6 months onward.

In my case it has nothing to do with nutrients (was feeding Acana until she doesn't want to anymore), it was just a puppy being a puppy.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Your puppy can't chew things outside if you take him out on a leash & walk him.

Regarding food: put his food out, give him 15 minutes to eat then pick it up. He will soon learn to eat when offered.

Rocks: be very careful. He may swallow one that could mean surgery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. I was wondering if i was doing something wrong since i'm a first time owner but this cleared things up, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts