Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom just got a 10 wk old labradoodle puppy a few days ago and we've noticed 2 odd things that have been happening. 1st is that she constantly tries to eat her poop...we have to stand right next to her when she goes and scoop her up after she's finished so she doesn't eat it. Is this normal for a young puppy to do? Not sure what to do to get her to stop!

2nd thing: she makes this sound like a dog makes right before it throws up (like its trying to get something out) but nothing comes out. she does this about every 20 min or so. Im feeding her ol'roy dry puppy food...should i switch to canned puppy food when she's this young? I am not sure what is causing her to do this since she is so happy and normal other then these 2 things. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Id appreciate it:(

·
Registered
78 Posts
As far as eating poop goes there could be many reasons why she is doing that. One reason could be a vitamin or mineral deficiancey, because her body isnt getting the vitamins and minerals she needs from the food. I would suggest looking into a better food which you can get some ideas on here under the food form. In addition to this you could try to distract her from eating it by calling her name and when she turns her attention away from it give her either a small treat or praise. Also you could teach her the leave it command, which you can find instructions on how to do so probably on here or google it.
As far as the gagging it could be Kennel Cough. Have you taken her to the vet since she has been home?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I've heard that feeding pineapple makes poo extremely undesirable to dogs, so that could help. I'm not sure about the gagging thing, but to play it safe I'd schedule a vet visit if I were you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts