Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with a little history. Ray Ray has been in my life for 4 years and has been completely potty trained, meaning not one accident in 3 years. About 8 months ago we got a new puppy Sookie...and things have been a bit crazy potty training her, but Ray has totally kept her cool. I thought she would have been very jealous because she is super sensitive, but they really do love each other. Anyways, three weeks ago we went out of town for a week and left our dogs in the care of our dog trainer. When we came home there was pee everywhere in our bedroom. I got really mad because I thought it was Sookie since she is not 100% trained yet and I thought the sitter wasn't taking her out or not putting her in her crate or something...but then I would find pee spots while Sookie was in her crate and could not have possibly done it. It turns out is was Ray the whole time. I figured she was just mad at us for leaving her and so we have been giving her extra special attention however it is not working. She is continuing to pee in the same spot as soon as I take my eye off of her. I have had to begin putting her in a crate for the first time in 3 years which I feel like it may make it worse? I don't know what to do and really some help. Should I punish her? Should I leave it alone and hope it gets back to normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am going crazy and am sick of a smelly bedroom!

Thanks!
Andrea

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
First of all dogs don't hold grudges. It's not within their mental capacity to do so. So she is not "mad" at you.
Any sudden changes in toilet habits or behavior warrants a trip to the vet. Could be a UTI, or if she is drinking more which mean more peeing it could be diabetes or renal problems. Likely she pees when you Are not looking because she knows she is not allowed but she just can't help it. Only a vet will be able to give you an answer. I suggest you go in for a urinalysis and whatever else the vet feels needs checking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply! I will definitely take her to the vet however, she only pees in one spot. Everywhere else in the house she is fine, leaving me to believe that this is not a medical issue. If she simply couldn't hold it, then I would expect to find pee all over the house, not in just one room in one spot? I could be wrong but I feel like it is something behavioral. If it is behavioral, is there something I can do?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's probably not behavioral. If she peed due to a UTI in one spot and then you didn't clean it properly using an enzymatic cleaner, then she'd keep peeing there because it now smells like a potty spot to her.

So, take her to the vet and buy some Nature's Miracle to clean the spot with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts