Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a year old male, miniature daschund, and just acquired a 20 week old female alaskan malamute.

I am having severe problems attempting to introduce the two dogs. Off-site, introductions went fine, with a lot of sniffing, but eventually ignoring each other. Once we brought the malamute home, things changed.

The malamute growls at the daschund every time she sees him, and if left, will attack - grabs him by the neck. He will attempt to submit, and will cry, and she continues to progress in her attack. She has not broken skin yet, but we are not willing to allow these attacks to continue.

My daschund is terrified of being even on the same floor as her.

How can I introduce the dogs so they can accept each other?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Keep them separated unless closely supervised. They should be separated most of the time right now anyway while you work with the new dog on bonding to you and training.

Malamutes do have a tendency to be somewhat dog aggressive but it's more often same sex aggression. But, at 20 weeks (5 months) of age your female is becoming a teenager and is at an age to test boundaries and try to raise or establish herself as the top or Alpha pack member. Unless you're an experienced dog trainer I would get some professional assistance with this problem. And, meantime put her on a strict NILIF program (see sticky & Google NILIF or alpha dog boot camp).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts