Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a 8 month old Boxer and have several questions that I need help with. The previous owners wanted to send her to a Boxer rescue because they no longer had the room for her. This dog has never had any type of obedience training, and I am a little confused (overwhelmed) as to where I should start.

Housebreak
I currently take her out when she gets up in the morning, after she eats, and every hour through out the day. When should I expect her to start going to the door to let me know she needs to go out?

Crate Training
The previous owners claimed my dog was crate trained (they placed her in a crate with her parents) so she has never been left alone by herself. I started crate training her after she had been in her new house for a couple of days. Every time that I place her in her crate all she does is wine and tries to break out of her crate. I give her a Kong filled with treats to amuse her, but she thinks its more important to break out of this confinement then to try and get the treats. I will go outside and come right back in to let her know that I am coming back, but she must think that hours have passed because as soon as I let her out she is jumping all over me. My question is am I doing this correctly in getting her acquainted to her new crate?

Basic Commands
I am also trying to teach her basic commands with rewards when she does them correctly (Sit, Stay). She will do the commands sometimes, and other times she looks at you like she has no intention of doing what you want her to do. Once again how long should this take for her to learn all these new commands?

Am I trying to teach my dog to much at once?

:confused:

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Housebreaking: Don't rely on the dog cuing you to eliminate. Put her on a regular schedule and you can ween off the hourly trips as soon as recognize a pattern.

Crate: How stinky are the treats your using? Stinky and novel = more powerful distraction. Do you rehearse leaving for short periods of time?

Basic Commands: How are you training these?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Housebreak
I currently take her out when she gets up in the morning, after she eats, and every hour through out the day. When should I expect her to start going to the door to let me know she needs to go out?
Your dog eventually becomes accustomed to you not allowing her to go to the toilet in the house and in realtion to the training eventually your dog will learn that it's got to go to the door when it wants to go the toilet.. This is one of those dog training tecniques thats gets gradually better over a period of time.

Crate Training
You're not doing it right giving her the kong filled with treats as once your dog runs out of play time it gets bored and also the crate shouldn't be associated with play time as it is made to be her den.. dogs are den animals.

The right way to do this is to stand by the door of the crate and throw in a treat, allow your dog to go in and come back out again, do this a few times and then gradually work your way up to closing the door behind your dog..

You know something I'm a bit lazy this evening and considering I've outlined this on my blog, you don't mind going there to read about it?

http://www.mmdogtraining101.com/crate-training-your-dog-or-puppy

Basic Commands
This sounds like an attention span problem, try not to worry too much about this and when your dog gets inot this state of mind, ignore the behaviour but don't give up while your dog is like this rather ignore for a few minutes and go again, then upon successful completion of a task stop training as the attention span isn't waht it needs to be.. You might need to ask questions of what I mean here, hopefully if you do I'll have time to return and answer them

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts