Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping you wonderful people might be able to help me.... I have recently rescued not one, not two, but THREE :eek: wonderful puppies (Golden Retriever/Husky Mix~2 males/1 female~9 weeks old). I'm a stay at home Mama so I have lots of time that I can devote to them. I'm just a little overwhelmed as I've never dealt with more than 1 puppy at a time. As far as training (mostly leash training for now, teaching them to not jump, to come when called, and to sit on command) goes, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Should I train them individually and then try to deal with them as a group? (That's a goal of mine, to be able to take all 3 out at once in an orderly fashion). Any suggestions or personal experiences would be wonderful!
Thanks in advance!!! :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
First of all, good for you taking in 3 rescues!! You are my hero of the day!!:)

Second, welcome to DF!! We are so glad you joined. You will get some good advice on here!

Now, for the topic at hand, I have never tried to deal with more than two pups at a time (and that was a job!) but I would think that working with them one on one would make the training go a lot easier. With all of them in the room it is going to be hard to keep their attention.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Some things should be done one on one like the stays until they grasp the concepts
then you can do it in a group. You can do almost everything in a group and you should. You pit them against each other and they learn from each other. For example, we often take a seasoned dog and a green dog and ask them both to sit. Whoever sits first gets a treat. The veteran usually wins and gets a treat but, the green dog will almost always be a little quicker on the 2nd command.....exactly what you want and that deserves a treat even if he didn't win. You can also use that competition for Down, Come and Stand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts