Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old alapaha blue blooded bulldog pup. His eyes and around his mouth are swollen. When I say swollen, I mean SWOOOOLEN. His eye lids have little spots of blood as does his chin. I took him to the vet on thur of last week. He said maybe some type of eye infection ) I did not notice his muzzle and chin swelling then. He put him on gel meds for pink eye and clavamox (antibiotic). By mon when I got off work I expected to see some improvement, but he looked just as bad if not worse. I called my vets office - closed! So I got into another vet in town. They were shocked at the sight of him. They said they have never seen anything like it. They took a swab from his eye and chin and looked under a microscope and said they could not identify it. He put him on a liquid eye drop, cepodxime, and doxycyline. Now two seperate vets seem to have no idea what is wrong with my pup. We have a litter of them and none of the other pups are showing any symptoms at all. The vet says for a LOT of money he can do a complete work up on the pup to possibly pin point the cause. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anything that may cause this so maybe I would know of a direction for the vets to go with this. He acts fine, eats and plays fine, his stool is alittle softer now but I am assuming it is due to the meds he is on. Any info would be appreciated. He has been on the new meds for 5 days now, is almost done and has not improved one bit. It is so sad to look at his little face. Thanks

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Puppy strangles?
Could he have chewed an electrical cord?
Could he have gotten into something caustic like lye?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you soooooooooooooo much! It is puppy strangles! Just called the vet. As it turns out he has been trying to get ahold of me since yesterday, I did not update my info with with my cel #). He had called a couple other vets to help diagnose, and had come to the same conclusion. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! All he needs is a steroid and he will recover quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts