Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It was a great breeder. but I honestly think they just got to old and should've quit. And I noticed you didn't say anything to the rest I said. Hmpht. And I also came her for something positive and you're turning it negative because of your own personal experiences. You could just help and identify the breeds instead of being so negative.

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
Thats the beauty of a public forum, people are free to comment on anything you put in your post. You won't always hear what you wanted to hear, but sometimes you WILL hear something you needed to know. People here are not saying you should not get a dog, they're saying you shouldn't surprise your girlfriend with an already purchased pup, which I happen to agree with. Your girlfriend should be involved in the process, as this puppie is for her.

Why not surprise her with a gift basket full of puppy supplies and then select a puppy together? And be aware, if you are looking to buy from a breeder, you could be looking at a waiting period of six months to more than a year before you get your pup. It's worth it though, you do NOT want to buy from a BYB or puppy mill

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I only see two pictures...first reminds me a bit of a sheltie, second a corgi

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Kuma'sMom said:
Why not surprise her with a gift basket full of puppy supplies and then select a puppy together?
This is a fantastic idea!!

Kuma'sMom said:
And be aware, if you are looking to buy from a breeder, you could be looking at a waiting period of six months to more than a year before you get your pup. It's worth it though, you do NOT want to buy from a BYB or puppy mill
And this is the truth. It took me over a year just to pick out the breeder that I wanted to get my doberman from and then after that I had to wait for her to have a pup that was the right fit for me. Before I got my second dog I was considering getting a corgi (Pemmie) and while I didn't want a dog until Summer 2012 I started looking for and talking to breeders in Fall 2011. Even though I didn't go with a corgi, the breeder that I chose still has not had a litter yet. With the exception of good timing - getting a dog from a good breeder is generally not a quick process if you're actually doing it right.

Anyways, I think I can touch on every point so you don't have to pout.
(I took out filler text)
Did you bother to think that maybe we've been together for years?
I was with my ex for 6 or 7 years before we broke up.
I know married couples who are together for upwards of 20 years before they divorce.
I have known a few unmarried couples who have been together for more than 10 years and they've also broken up.
Sadly, very little in life is permanent (though tattoos are). At least with tattoos you're not adding a living, breathing organism and for the divorced couples with kids - there are laws to help protect the children. Dogs don't get that.

And i'm not going to be getting it for her in a day or something, I'm planning this out not jumping into something I don't know, i've been doing the research and everything.
Thats great, but it's not something that I could have deducted from your messages - and that's what I'm going off of. Also, if you've been around and working with dogs and doing research as much as you make it sound I find it hard to believe that you don't know what a corgi puppy looks like? Corgis, especially corgi puppies, are basically the new cats of the internet - they're all over the place.

have a great vet who can also recommend me a great breeder. Also you have to think of where I live, I live across the states from you, and it's different here then there.
Sadly, no it's not. I'm from one of the most dog friendly cities in America (not making that up, it's on numerous lists) so I doubt my skepticism has to do with where I'm located. Idiots are everywhere.
I know vets and seasoned dog people all over the states who will (because they have to me and to friends) recommend the WORST of breeders and mills. Just because someone has a degree doesn't mean that they know all. Same thing when it comes to vets and nutrition. Of course, there will be the rare gem but those guys are few and far between. Again, no reputable/good breeder will sell a puppy that's meant to be a surprise gift. Unless the breeder knows you and your girlfriend really well (which I don't see happening because you don't even know what breeds yet) I would stay FAR AWAY from any breeder willing sell a puppy that is intended to be a gift for someone's significant other.

Even from a great breeder i've learned you have to be careful. Because my grandma got a pom from one and he turned out to be sick, and so did most of the puppies.
That sucks. However, if she was too old and should have stopped breeding maybe she wasn't as great as she once was? Still, mistakes happen. I'm sorry about your grandma's dog.

And we'd never not want or toss aside an animal. Me and my family have taken in many abused or unwanted animals and raised them. One died after about being 15 almost 16 years old. And my grandparents still have the cocker spaniel we got back in Louisiana, she's about 15 in a couple months and still running around happily. I've been raised well and know what i'm doing. We even had a pet possum when In Louisiana. And I've discussed with her the things i've learned about each one and to see what is suitable for the both of us.
That's awesome. I do hope it works out and that the puppy is as cute as the pictures.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Why are the photos of puppies? You realise that the dog will be a cute puppy for only a few months right? You don't pick a dog you like the look of based on puppy photos. You'd have to look at adult dogs.

Why not check out the animal planet breed selector as a starting point, then rule out the suggested dogs you don't like the look of, then research the other breeds and find the one that suits you the most?

http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe I am misreading some stuff here, but I don't think he is being all that irresponsible. He is doing the research on the breeds, he is looking into breeders, and has been talking with a vet. If the only objection is because it's going to be a gift, I think there are exceptions. Yes, in general I think just surprising someone with a dog is a bad idea. But, it sounds like they have discussed this and she is telling him this is what she wants. He isn't just going to a pet store and saying that's cute, lets go with it.

My fist dog as an adult was forced on me and me ex. We had hemmed and hawed over getting a dog and lost a few because of our indecision, when one day his aunt found a dog and dropped it at our house. We broke up a few years later and that dog is still with me and won't be going anywhere. It almost feels like he is being told not to get a dog because you just don't know if the relationship will work out. Well as was pointed out above, nothing is certain and that seems like an unfair response to say you can’t do this because you just don’t know.

The pics may be of puppies, but he seems to be looking more into the breeds and should see how they look as adults. I just didn’t get the idea it was a fly by night thing. I do like the idea of the puppy gift basket and then picking one out together.

Not the best analogy, but it is all I can think of right now. It’s like engagement rings, all women want the surprise, but they also want to like what they are getting and have some say in what the ring looks like.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I would also second the gift of the supplies. Yes a 'suprise, we've got a puppy' thing is cute, but not fair to the pup and to be honest, any GOOD breeder is going to ask if it's a gift and regardless of how long, how in love, and how much YOU claim she wants a puppy, they're going to tell you to bring her along before they ever even consider you as a possible owner. Any breeder who doesn't isn't a good breeder. I've seen it many times where the husband wants a pup and comes and does all the meeting, talking and asking, the wife doesn't ever come, but the husband insists she's on board and wants a dog, only to find when she does come over she's on the counters because she's not a dog person.

What I would suggest is make some appointments with some responsible breeders in your area, or find a dog show nearby. Suprise her with the crate, toys, bed and dog training books. Give her that after dinner. Next morning go together to the dog show to look at different breeds and ask and make the choice together on what breed, talk to breeders and do it TOGETHER. Much more romantic. Or if it's breeders, same thing, plan to meet with some, take notes, and talk about it over a nice dinner and decide.

How would you feel if she came home with a newborn baby, because you said you wanted kids down the road? Same thing, it'd be kinda exciting but it's also nicer to have that big of a life change with some notice and teamwork. As I said any breeder hands you a puppy as a gift is not a good one. And most of the 'older' breeders I know retired LONG before they did a bad job. Or they're still breeding but not doing it poorly.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts