Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my girlfriend and she really wants a puppy, she sent me pics of the ones she would want most. I want to surprise her by getting her one. I could really use some help in identifying the breeds exact as can be. Please help! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The first is a photoshopped photo of I believe a poodle. Sorry, but that photo is just plain ugly.

The last is a Welsh Corgi, can't tell if it is a Cardigan or a Pembroke.

The middle photo I am not sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :). Well I was leaning towards the second two because those are the ones me and her both like most out of the rest she sent me. I'm really curious on the second one. And the Welsh Corgi I think i'm leaning towards most.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i'm leaning towards the Corgi, but I really want to know what the other is. I decided to just remove the poodle haha.

·
Super Moderator
7,366 Posts
Have you done any research at all into these breeds? There's a LOT more to picking a breed than just looks. Looks are important, but more important is energy level and temperament. How much time can you and your girlfriend devote to exercising and training your dog every day? What sort of personality are you looking for? How much shedding are you able/willing to put up with? These are just a few questions you should be thinking about when choosing a breed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually yes I have :). I've been looking into them on http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./abc.htm I've been wanting to make sure I get one that would suit best, I know she wants something small and she'd prefer these breeds, we just didn't know them. I'm still wanting to know the one. And me and her have both raised dogs over the years and always had dogs around us growing up. We would properly care for them. We'd devote a lot of time easily, we'd both walk our dog, make sure they're fed, well groomed, played with frequently, and plenty of room to run around, even take him or her on a walk everyday. Based on what i've looked into on the Corgis I think their personalities would suit best. And shedding were used to from cats and dogs, plus we would be brushing to reduce amount of shedding. I've been considering all of it because it's an important decision overall.

·
Super Moderator
7,366 Posts
I'm glad you're doing your research, but I'd steer clear of dogbreedinfo. The info on there is notoriously innacurate. I'm sure some of the corgi owners here will chime in however with good info. In the meantime, I'd look up the Corgi Club of America for either or both varieties. You'll get much better info there.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Make sure you find a good breeder too, not some byb or a pet store or anything.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My sister owned a pembroke Welsh corgi (hope that's right) she was the sweetest dog ever! Bigger than most people realize they get without doing research, but she was just awesome. Great with kids, pets, easy to train, smart as a whip, I really liked her.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Yeah, corgis are larger than you might think! I am still always surprised when I see them at shows. They're short, but they're solid.

I wouldn't surprise your gf with a pup, either. A dog is a lifetime commitment, and it's best to make sure that you both want a specific dog or puppy. Most good breeders (and you should definitely buy from a good breeder, not from a pet store or some random person on Craigslist) will not sell a pup to someone who's going to give it as a surprise gift. It can also take months to get the right puppy (many breeders have waiting lists), so it's not something you can just run out and buy.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Check out your country's breed club page (such as the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America) for accurate information on the breed. Also, the more common breeds generally have breed-specific forums that you can go to for more information.

I also would suggest not giving your girlfriend a puppy as a gift. They're cute but they make horrible gifts. They are a living, breathing creature and depend on you for as long as they are alive. Puppies are generally hell, even the ones that you prepare for. If your girlfriend wants one and you want to get one for her I'd suggest researching breeds together and finding a reputable breeder. A puppy from a good breeder is worth the wait, trust me. Oooor, research types of dogs that you like and checking out local shelters once you (the both of you, or just she) feels that you're prepared to take on a dog.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It sounds like a really sweet thought, but I would personally be very upset with my bf if he surprised me with a dog. I would do my best to make it work but I would always wish I had been able to pick out the dog myself. As has already been mentioned, your surprise will be a 10+ year commitment. I would want to make extremely certain that I was getting the dog they want/need, and IMO there is no way to just guess on that, even if you know the person really well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually know i'm set on this, me and her have been talking about it. She knows I'm going to get her one, one day. But she doesn't know when or how. She sent me those pics because she wanted me to know what kind she really wants, she's set on it and knows which she wants. The two pics are the two she narrowed it down too. I just want to do something special and surprise her with it :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Methinks you're making a mistake.
I've worked with dogs and dog people for years and I RARELY see this work out well, especially for the dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How is it a mistake? When we love eachother, I've been around dogs all my life, i've helped out at vets as a volunteer. We both know what were doing, how to take care of a dog. When I did live with family I had 3 dogs or more the whole time.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How is it a mistake? When we love eachother, I've been around dogs all my life, i've helped out at vets as a volunteer. We both know what were doing, how to take care of a dog. When I did live with family I had 3 dogs or more the whole time.
Because when I think of the top three dogs that I would love to own based on looks alone, two of the three would be a HORRIBLE fit for me and, since I refuse to rehome a dog that I took on the responsibility for, I would be stuck with a dog that is not a good match for 14+ years. It's great that you've been around dogs and you know what you're doing but you've said that this dog is not for you, but for her and it sounds like she's picking breeds based off pictures. That doesn't really say "well thought out" to me. Forgive me if I'm skeptical but I've seen so many dogs that were just tossed aside and given up because they were gotten because somebody wanted a cute, fluffy puppy and didn't really think much more than that. Many of those dogs were probably euthanized at the shelters they were given to because there are SO MANY homeless dogs.

Plus, you seem to be looking for specific breeds and want to do this as a "surprise." I cannot think of many (if any?) legitimately reputable breeders that would sell a puppy that was intended to be a gift (let alone a surprise gift) for somebody's girlfriend. That mixed with the fact that you're looking for a specific breed and a puppy makes it unlikely that you'll be looking at shelter and rescue dogs which means that you're likely to get a dog from a BYB or mill. Doing so just allows these people to keep producing dogs and these people also don't health test or title their breeding dogs so the puppy you'll be getting won't likely have the best start at life. That just means that you (or your girlfriend) are more likely to face pricey vet bills than you would if you had gone through a reputable breeder. Again, I'm assuming here but I've seen this far too many times. Color me skeptical.

Edit: Not to mention the many couples who get matching tattoos because they love each other only to break up a month later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you bother to think that maybe we've been together for years? And also I get where you're coming from, that is you. Not me. Or her. Me and her would be taking care of our animal, it'd be apart of our life for a long time. And i'm not going to be getting it for her in a day or something, I'm planning this out not jumping into something I don't know, i've been doing the research and everything. It's not like this will be the first puppy we've taken care of, I have done volunteer work, have a great vet who can also recommend me a great breeder. Also you have to think of where I live, I live across the states from you, and it's different here then there. Even from a great breeder i've learned you have to be careful. Because my grandma got a pom from one and he turned out to be sick, and so did most of the puppies. And it's for her, I know her. I know what she wants because she has told me, she sent me way more then the pics above, but these are the ones being narrowed down and I was curious to find out what they are so I can do more of the proper research. And we'd never not want or toss aside an animal. Me and my family have taken in many abused or unwanted animals and raised them. One died after about being 15 almost 16 years old. And my grandparents still have the cocker spaniel we got back in Louisiana, she's about 15 in a couple months and still running around happily. I've been raised well and know what i'm doing. We even had a pet possum when In Louisiana. And i've discussed with her the things i've learned about each one and to see what is suitable for the both of us.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
A "great breeder" wouldn't be selling sick puppies. Just saying. Makes me wonder what your criteria is for a great breeder?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts