Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some kind of mixed breed puppy has became part of our family. Well...we found him out in the middle of nowhere with no tags or anything at all and there were no houses around ether. Sorry for the pics not being of the best views. I can upload better views if needed.

Also on another note< he's just really lazy. Im farily certain that hes not sick ether, he eats good and drinks when he wants water. He's a very nice dog and really calm and minds well. He's also scared of everything and seems to run to me when something makes a loud thump or whatever. So maybe he was not treated right?

Any help would be very nice, thanks in advance for the help. Also sorry if this is in the wrong topic.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Well.....he doesn't appear to be underfed which makes me think he may just be lost? I would check the newspapers for lost and found adds, check the vets office for lost pets, maybe put an add in the lost and found adds. He is a cutie. :) It is hard to be sure why he was out in the middle of nowhere. It could be for any reason.

I would definitely have him checked out at the vets asap if you do plan on keeping him......parvo is deadly most times in puppies and if he has not been vaccinated it is not good at all! Plus, the vets may know where he belongs. Keep us updated. It seems to be there is a rash of puppies being lost and found this week?

It is also hard to say what breed mix he is. He looks a little houndy or Dobie to me. But then again I always have Dobie on the brain! Lol! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should take him to the vet ASAP. If he is microchipped you will be able to find out where he came from. :) If not, you can post things in the newspaper and on the internet. Even check craigslist as sometimes people search for their lost dogs there. I would try the vet first before anything though. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank yo for the info. But i'm amazed how calm he is and how quick he picked up on being housebroken(still working on it) but other then that he's a really amazingly good puppy minds well and everything. Just wish he wasn't so lazy lol. Ummm you have any idea about what size he'll be? like small(def not he's wayyy past small dog) so i was thinking that medium to large maybe? I really have no clue tho.

I've called multipile places and looked around to see if he has a home i didn't find anything. The strange thing was that he had no tags. I mean he could have a chip I havent had time to take him to the vet(so busy with work i know that's no exucuse) but I will asap.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Please do take him to the vet asap.....not just to see if he is chipped....but for his own healths sake! :)

He could have worms making him so lazy......that needs attention asap too!

Please keep us posted on the little guy. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, i'm going to try to take him tomorrow. Does anyone know of anything that I would possibily have around the house that the pup could chew on? I was using a rubber flip flop but i think I saw him bitting off little chunks of it and idk if the flip flop is toxic(wouldn't surprise me if it was). I'd take him out for a walk but with what I've read on the net i should have him cheacked out first. Like any ideas at all. I'd simply give him a ball to play with but well...my other dog just takes it away from him that and he doesn't know how to play ball(we worked on that today) the closest place that sells pet toys is a good 30 mins away. So any ideas at all would be helpful.

Even if the dog is chipped why wouldn't you have tags on him and make sure he his tied up. I also don't think he ran away cause I've had him out and about and he's always stayed by my side and if he does leave my side then he makes sure that he can see me, if not he gets really sad and starts yellping and walking around until he finds me.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
A dog can lose it's collar if it gets caught on something....... My one Sister has a micro chip in her dog and he has broken loose from a tie-out (which I do not believe he should have been left alone like that) and still was running down the road without the collar. It is possible.

As far as chewing on things.....I am sure you are already aware that foreign objects can be a choking hazzard as well as can end up being a blockage in the dog, not to mention toxic. I am not sure....but do you have any dog-safe toys that your own dog would like to share?

I am not trying to discourage you as I am sure you are already attached to the pup.....but there have been people just out of spite to take another person's dog and dump it off somewhere out of meanness and because they just don't like dogs or the dogs whining and barking was annoying them. Unfortunately it has happened where I live a while back.

If the pup does not belong to anyone I hope maybe you can keep him or find him a place at a rescue and not a kill-shelter. :) Most puppies I have known do not like to be alone which is probably why he is crying when you are out of sight. He is lost and scared a little now also, having no idea where he has been or what kind of a life he had up until now. Maybe he is missing his people? There are too many "what if's" to really know anything.

Good luck with him and please post what the vet has to say! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think Abbylynn's right, could very well be worms.
He does look like a hound mix more than anything. He's sooo adorable! If he isn't chipped, what are you going to name him?

He could have been dumped too, I've lived out in the country for 3 years and we've had about 5 dogs dumped on us, ESPECIALLY around this time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People take other peoples dogs just for the heck of it? Really what's this world coming to :(, anyway i found a little kong that'll have to do for now. I really hope that i can keep him. He's a very sweet dog and hasn't had an accident in the house in a day(only two but both of them were my fault seeing as how I wasn'y watching him like i needed to be). I just kinda wish I knew how to make him not so bored...it"s not like i don"t have time for him or anything it's just i guess i shouldn't take him to the park(not dog part) and i dont want to have him walk/run cuase he might be sick and he hasn't had his shots(maybe). But he seems to be enjoying his kong that i found so i'm safe for now on that

·
Registered
16 Posts
any idea about what size he'll be? like small(def not he's wayyy past small dog) so i was thinking that medium to large maybe? I really have no clue tho.
The vet should be able to estimate how old he is and how big he'll get.

Also, I'm with Abbylynn on the collar, particularly because a lot of people leave collars a bit too loose, especially first-timers who feel bad about tightening something around a dog's neck. I know it took me two on-leash escapes with my dogs as a teenager before I learned, haha.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
To repeat... if he has worms, then the Vet will give you meds. After he is better, you'll notice an increase in energy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts