Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im pretty new here, My name is Steven and im 13 :)

I have had my dog Banjo Since 2001. She is very sweet and A german shepard mix with(unkown). But Im having some trouble with this new dog my mom got. First She is 3 years old and full german shepard. She is very hyper and jumps to much.Her Name is salsa. My dog Banjo dosnt like her, and when my mom put them toghter one day Banjo my the other Dog sniffed eachother for a second and started to fight like really rough. So a month later my brother puts them toghter and they fight again. And My dog Banjo made Salsa bleed. I Broke it up with my hands(crazy huh :confused: ) and got Banjo inside. The First thing I did is made sure they where ok. Luckily Salsa disnt bleed that bad.But the funny thing is they will see eachother when they sleep in there cages. They dont bark at each other. Now I want them to get along and never fight, i know it will take some training and im willing to commit to that.

And to make this story worse, Banjo Just got back from being lost for 2 months. The Land Scapper left the Gate open and she got out, and somebody picked her up, Finally i got a call saying I got you dog etc. But another thing is I had a dog shadow who got lost with her and never showed up again. And Last some lady just moved in my house with a Beswhan dog. Making this really bad. And idk if Bango likes Her but Salsa sure dosnt.

·
Registered
750 Posts
When salsa came home, did your mom just ''put'' the new dog without properly introducing both dogs? Banjo probably acts aggressive towards salsa because she is protecting something that is hers, her territory.

So what you need to do, is take both dogs over to a place none of them have been before that we'll call (neutral territory) so none of the dogs has the need to guard that new place, let them sniff eachother, and have them leashed in case a fight starts. You can also get them used to eachother by having another member of your family walk either dog couple of feet away and slowly bringing them closer and closer.

Are both bitches spayed??
Usually two unaltered females are a bit more harsh between eachother... this can be reduced alot by having them spayed.

Try to supervise the time they spend togheter, when you see the slightest signal that one of the dogs is getting irritated, call it time out and place one of them in her crate.

Having two dogs get along can take as much as 6 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idk, I remember her leting her rome around banjos territory, so thats really bad then?

alright, im going to do that, thats is a great idea, but the problem is nobody will do it, my mom just assumes every idea she has for the dogs is the best, but has no actually "background" of dog rasing and will most likly be "no"
Any ideas to convince her? maybe I an make a fake email of a vet recommending everything you said

yea both spayed. Banjo at 1yr and salsa Like a week befor we got here so at 3yr (idk if that matters tho?)

hmm, k im at school in the day tho(im gone about 7 hours), maybe have mom watch them or somethin

Hmm, k , thats along time but i dont care, it will be all worth for years to come, i keep that in mine :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
First, I just want to congratulate you for being willing to work with you dogs to ensure a happy home.

What Erick said was very good advice. I wouldn't make anything up to tell your mom, but maybe just ask her if you guys could take the dogs to the park just for fun. (Don't lie to her but you don't have to tell her the WHOLE truth either.)

Also, try to make sure that only good things happen when the two dogs are together. When they're acting calm and nice around each other, give them treats and praise them. (Make sure you don't put them in a situation where they'll fight over the treat, though.)

Eventually you really need to get your mom on board, though. If you're doing one thing and she's doing another, it will confuse the dogs. Could you google "introducing two dogs" and print out some of the articles? Then maybe just leave them laying around? People are curious and this might be a good way to educate her without trying to directly tell her what to do.

Good luck and thanks again for caring about your dogs so much!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Idk, I remember her leting her rome around banjos territory, so thats really bad then?

alright, im going to do that, thats is a great idea, but the problem is nobody will do it, my mom just assumes every idea she has for the dogs is the best, but has no actually "background" of dog rasing and will most likly be "no"
Any ideas to convince her? maybe I an make a fake email of a vet recommending everything you said

yea both spayed. Banjo at 1yr and salsa Like a week befor we got here so at 3yr (idk if that matters tho?)

hmm, k im at school in the day tho(im gone about 7 hours), maybe have mom watch them or somethin

Hmm, k , thats along time but i dont care, it will be all worth for years to come, i keep that in mine :)
Maybe a brother/sister can help you?? even a friend of yours? You don't need a car, just walk looooong way from your home, this is also great to have the two dogs get used to be near eachother in the streets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe a brother/sister can help you?? even a friend of yours? You don't need a car, just walk looooong way from your home, this is also great to have the two dogs get used to be near eachother in the streets.
hmm i get my friend to hold one. Alright thanks guya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts