Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a seventh month old lab/collie mix I got from a rescue. I understand puppies need to chew but she is overly agressive. I will pet her and she will snap at you and jump up and try to bite. I have tried walking away and ignoring her, replacing her biting with toy, putting her in her crate, spraying her with water, and ultimately, having to physically restrain her which I am very unhappy about. Mouthing i get, but not sure what to do with this behavior. She is smart and sweet at times, but i have two very young kids so i worry.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
How much exercise does she get? Is she living with the family, or is she separated?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Please call in a positive reinforcement behaviorist immediately. A 7 month old puppy's need to chew is not the same as snapping and biting when you pet her. It sounds like fear aggression which is extremely difficult to handle on your own, especially with two young children.

Did the rescue know you have two very young children? Have you spoken to them about this dog's behavior? It might be that this is not the dog for you. She might need to be rehomed with a family that does not have young children. Not every dog is right for every family, and the rescue should be willing to help in such a situation.

As to all your different solutions, how long have you had her? If this is just a bite inhibition problem (which is a common problem), you have to stick with one method- walking away is the best- for weeks for it to work. Constantly switching methods because you didn't get quick results will just add to the problem.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Walk her at least 45 min am and pm. Walk briskly, not stopping to sniff. Teach her "sit", and it'll help with jumping and biting.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Please call in a positive reinforcement behaviorist immediately. A 7 month old puppy's need to chew is not the same as snapping and biting when you pet her. It sounds like fear aggression which is extremely difficult to handle on your own, especially with two young children.

Did the rescue know you have two very young children? Have you spoken to them about this dog's behavior? It might be that this is not the dog for you. She might need to be rehomed with a family that does not have young children. Not every dog is right for every family, and the rescue should be willing to help in such a situation.

As to all your different solutions, how long have you had her? If this is just a bite inhibition problem (which is a common problem), you have to stick with one method- walking away is the best- for weeks for it to work. Constantly switching methods because you didn't get quick results will just add to the problem.
It MAY not be as serious as all that. It's hard to judge a situation by the OP's post alone, of course. But, a 7 month old dog from a shelter just may have never learned bite inhibition before. So, while I agree that a 7 month old biting and nipping isn't the same as with a new puppy because the need to chew isn't the same, it really could be that this puppy just was never trained in the area of bite inhibition before, and now that she's older, it hurts more.

The OP says she is "overly aggressive" and that she snaps, jumps up and tries to bite. That could all be simply a matter of an untrained puppy who is still relatively young.

That said, you obviously need to be very careful because you have children.

Collies have a LOT of energy as do labs, so she will need tons of exercise. And, I would recommend keeping her on a leash inside so that you ultimately have control of her.

How long have you had her?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Since she is a rescue she probably doesn't come from a good situation(not that this is bad--I have rescues too), but I would think at 7 months and are they positive she is 7 months to begin with? that she probably never learned early on that she shouldn't bite. I have a 6 month old shepherd and she's pretty good but she wasn't when I first got her(rescue). Now she looks at me when she starts to mouth me and I tell her no biting..kisses and I get plenty of kisses. You might want to consider the exercise and puppy class for her too.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The OP says she is "overly aggressive" and that she snaps, jumps up and tries to bite. That could all be simply a matter of an untrained puppy who is still relatively young.>>>>

thats what it sounds like to me. some breeds/puppies are overly mouthy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts