Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife and I rescued a ridgeback/hound mix from the humane society a few weeks ago. Generally he behaves really well, he is around a year and a half old and still has some puppy tendencies. The problem is when we are out walking and he says a male on a bicycle or skateboard he loses his mind, starts barking and wants to lunge at the person. I hold the leash firm so he doesn't go anywhere but if we put our hands near his head to restrain him he bites. So far he has done it twice to my wife, anyone have any tips on how to train him on getting over that bad behavior?

Anthony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dog get excited about everything. I will suggest you get your dog a skateboard or something, and just remember to keep it positive. If your dog starts barking again, don't yell. Yelling at a dog is giving a negative reinforcement, use something else to grab the dog's attention.

you can also check out my blog review, where I review some dog training products.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You need to train the behavior you want at a distance from the bike, skateboard, etc. When you get too close and he goes ballistic, it's impossible to do any training.
Work at distance and train a sit with attention on you. Get between him and the distraction (showing him that you'll handle the 'problem'). Treat and praise for calmness. This takes time to build the confidence so don't rush into really close encounters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, going to borrow a bike from my brother in law and try that. He was afraid to get in our car at first, we got him over that. My wife would get in the car first then he would jump right in, then he saw our friends dog get in their car with no problem and he just started getting in ours with no problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks for the advice, going to borrow a bike from my brother in law and try that. He was afraid to get in our car at first, we got him over that. My wife would get in the car first then he would jump right in, then he saw our friends dog get in their car with no problem and he just started getting in ours with no problem. I'll let you know how it goes.
Hmm maybe have another calm dog around or walking with him so he sees other dogs don't go ape over bikes? Start at a good distance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts