Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so we have a rhodesian ridgeback, lab, pit mix, and at the end of the month we are supposed to be getting an alaskan malamute mix puppy. i am trying to find a good food for when we get the puppy, and for our current dog. our problem is that we do not have a huge budget for their foods, and i don not want them eating crap foods either. i personally am a fan of raw diets, but do not think it is feasible just yet with our budget. what are some recommendations for good quality foods for our dogs? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Raw can actually be very affordable. I suggest you price it and the better foods available in your area (which may include Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Innova, California Natural, etc.). I mainly feed a rotation of quality kibble and canned foods, supplementing with raw, and have been getting excellent results with variety.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For your budget's sake, I would try Natural Balance. They make them for all life stages, so you don't need to buy a separate food for your puppy and your adults. They have various formulas including grain-free allergy formulas, to Limited Diet formulas and regular formulas. I would suggest the Natural Balance Ultra Premium kibble. You can buy this at Pet Supermarket and Petco, amongst other online companies and some independent retailers.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1082&cat=4

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll definetly have to look into the brands you guys mentioned. i have considered taste of the wild but it is hard to come by around here and quite pricey when you do find it. i haven't checked into the price of it lately but has anyone tried before grain or know someone who has?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
alright so we have a rhodesian ridgeback, lab, pit mix, and at the end of the month we are supposed to be getting an alaskan malamute mix puppy. i am trying to find a good food for when we get the puppy, and for our current dog. our problem is that we do not have a huge budget for their foods, and i don not want them eating crap foods either. i personally am a fan of raw diets, but do not think it is feasible just yet with our budget. what are some recommendations for good quality foods for our dogs? any help is greatly appreciated.
As said, raw can be affordable. That said, easy to find and affordable decent kibble: PetSmart sells Blue Buffalo, Nature's Recipe, Nutro Natural Choice and AvoDerm all have recipes that have first ingredient plain meat (IE, Lamb or Deboned Chicken, as opposed to a meat meal.) Apparently PetCo has Wellness.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As said, raw can be affordable. That said, easy to find and affordable decent kibble: PetSmart sells Blue Buffalo, Nature's Recipe, Nutro Natural Choice and AvoDerm all have recipes that have first ingredient plain meat (IE, Lamb or Deboned Chicken, as opposed to a meat meal.) Apparently PetCo has Wellness.
Is Nutro good? I could have sworn I saw someone in another post state that it wasn't something they'd choose or still have their dogs on, but not why. (Think it was the "if you'd never found DF" thread)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Is Nutro good? I could have sworn I saw someone in another post state that it wasn't something they'd choose or still have their dogs on, but not why. (Think it was the "if you'd never found DF" thread)
I saw that too, I think that poster switched to raw. There are several decent Nutro formulas, and I have seen many dogs with skin issues do well on their sensitive skin formulas. I use/d Nutro with my foster dog. It's affordable and it's good. The one I like is the Lamb and Rice. The list looks fine to me. Yes, it has a lot of rice, but it also has a good amount of lamb and if you have to pick an affordable food from PetSmart it's on my list.

Lamb, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Potato Protein, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Rice Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Pea Protein, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Choloride, Monocalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate,(source of Vitamin C), Copper Proteinate, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Garlic Flavor, Potassium Iodide, Manganous Oxide,Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridozxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

ETA: I need to type this list out somewhere so I can C&P it, but heres the others I like from PetSmart. (I work there and this is what I have found at MY store that is good. If the OP is able to get specialty foods that's better but some people don't have the selection beyond PetSmart.)

These are the foods I like from PetSmart and their first few ingredients.

Nutro Natural Choice: http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdry-lr.shtml (The PetSmart website has this messed up. The DARK GREEN bag is the Lamb. The LIGHT GREEN is Lamb Meal. The picture on PetSmart Website looks like Lamb but the product is Lamb Meal. In the STORES you can get the Lamb OR Lamb Meal.)
(Lamb, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Potato Protein, Poultry Fat)

Nature's Recipe Farm Stand Selects: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3262854
(Turkey, turkey meal, ground rice, barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols),oatmeal, potato protein, cranberriers, apples, peas, carrots, animal digest, tomato pomace)

Blue Buffalo Wilderness: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3144482
(Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Whitefish Meal, Salmon Meal, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids))

Blue Buffalo Adult http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750079
(Chicken & Brown Rice
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Rye, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes)
(Lamb & Brown Rice
Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Rice Protein Concentrate, Alfalfa, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes)

AvoDerm Natural Lamb & Brown Rice Oven-Baked: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750281 (Lamb, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Ground Whole Rice, Oatmeal)

Pet Botanics: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750422
(Lamb & Rice Dog Food Roll
Ingredients: Lamb Meat, Lamb Hearts, Lamb Kidneys, Lamb Lungs, Whole Wheat Flour, Brown Rice, Wheat Bran, Lamb Fat)
(Savory Beef Dog Food Roll
Ingredients: Beef Hearts, Beef Kidneys, Beef Lungs, Whole Wheat Flour, Brown Rice, Wheat Bran, Beef Fat)

·
Registered
47 Posts

From what I've heard on other forums, supposedly Nutro is to be blamed for a lot of dog deaths and illnesses. I used to feed my Sasha Nutro Natural Choice from when she was a puppy up until she turned 1 year. I then changed her to the adult formula. When I first joined this other forum and told people that I was feeding Nutro, instantly everyone would say "I'd get off of Nutro ASAP" and told me to google "Nutro sick dogs" and read up on it. I do have to admit that I was appalled by some of the articles I read. I had already planned on changing Sasha's food back to what the breeder had all her dogs on which was Solid Gold, so that's what she's eating now. All in all, it isn't a bad food at all ingredients wise, but I guess the articles and reviews that I read kinda scared me a little bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I've got a list started, and not time to go through it. Thanks for the reccomendations. If you guys can think of anything else let me know and I will add it to the list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts