Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First time poster here and I wanted to ask your opinion if its time to put my 12 yr old lab down or if she is still enjoying life at all.

She's been diagnosed with a tumor on her spleen that bled out last Thursday. We brought her to the vet and she was really bad, anemic, no energy, and had no appetite. When she would stand she would just fall to the floor.

We know we'll have to put her down soon but lately she has gotten her appetite back, her gums are pink again when they were white before, I've been looking at her eyes to tell me if she is ready to go but I've only seen sadness when she has seen me crying otherwise they seem normal. The thing is, she still cannot get up. She struggles to get up, I have to help her until she can get her own bearing then she can go potty, then she comes back and stands for a little then plops down.

She still enjoys eating and belly rubs, but I don't know because she just can't get up.

I know we will have to put her down but do we do it as soon as possible or do we wait till she stops eating and such.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
The decision to put down a pet is a hard one. With my cat, we made the decision when he no longer looked comfortable in every day life and we honestly felt that keeping him alive any longer (which was very much possible) would just be selfish.

You know your dog better than anybody on this forum does. She's a dog, and a lab at that, so if you asked her I'm sure she'd want to be with you forever but that doesn't mean it's best. After 12 years with her is the life that she has now one that you think she enjoys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
This is hard, sorry you are going through this!<3 Sending prayers!
You know her, you will know by the way she acts, looks at you, when it's her time to pass on.

~Erica~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
Based on what you wrote, I would say yes. But it really is an individual thing. I believe that it's better a week too soon than a day too late. I never want to wait until it's too late and have my dog have to suffer for any amount of time. And it seems like emergencies always happen at night when it takes a while to get a vet. I would rather avoid that and schedule it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Based on what you wrote, I would say yes. But it really is an individual thing. I believe that it's better a week too soon than a day too late. I never want to wait until it's too late and have my dog have to suffer for any amount of time. And it seems like emergencies always happen at night when it takes a while to get a vet. I would rather avoid that and schedule it.
This was my first reaction, too, especially with the thought of an emergency situation arising in the wee hours of the night. What does your vet advise?

In case you do decide to help her to the Bridge, another poster a few days ago posted about having it done by the vet at home. Don't know if it's an option for you but it seems a much easier way for the dog, and the humans, to handle this very, very difficult situation. I'm so sorry you have to make this decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,075 Posts
I am so very sorry you are having to make this decision.

I just recently had to make this decision ... but with a much younger dog. The light had gone from his eyes and he no longer had any quality of life ... and could not be saved. It was then that I decided that through the loyalty and all the love he had shown me in his short life ... I owed him the same ... looked past my desire to try and keep him alive ... and knowing the heartbreak it was going to bring me ... helped him to the bridge before his suffering got worse ... and will always hope his crossing was soon enough.

You are all sincerely in my thoughts and prayers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,186 Posts
Based on what you wrote, I would say yes. But it really is an individual thing. I believe that it's better a week too soon than a day too late. I never want to wait until it's too late and have my dog have to suffer for any amount of time. And it seems like emergencies always happen at night when it takes a while to get a vet. I would rather avoid that and schedule it.
I don't regret putting Muggsy to sleep. I regret waiting a day to do it. It's been 8 months, but I still feel so terrible and ashamed that I made him suffer because I didn't want to let go. He tried so hard, too, to please me and I betrayed him.

You'll have pain and regret either way, Rokks, you just need to decide what you'd prefer to regret. I'm sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses and support, really a great group of people here.


Since posting, our dog has actually perked up to the point that she is able to get up on her own and walk around even though she still gets tired quicker. I listened to what you guys are saying, that I have to pay attention to the individual bond we have and if she is still happy and we can see in her eyes that she still has a little more time left. She eats just like she used to, rolls over for belly rubs, and has begun doing her little quirks again.

We know though that she still has this tumor inside her and that this isn't a full recovery so we are going to play close attention to any slight regression at all and make sure any suffering doesn't go on longer than it needs to. When the time comes we decided to go with an in home euthanasia, since she gets tense at the vet.

Thanks again guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,186 Posts
Give her a little pat for me, okay? And if you need to talk or vent or anything, we're here. We know what you're going through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Sounds like she has a hemangiosarcoma. I lost my Golden Retriever to this 4 years ago.

If you imagine a piece of real sponge wrapped in seran wrap and filled with blood you will have a good idea of what the tumour looks like.

The good news is that they are not painful (you are not extending pain by not putting her down). The bad news is that they occasionally burst and the dog starts to bleed internally. This is what has probably happened to your dog. Fortunately she has clotted and, as her bone marrow has manufactured more red blood cells, her anemia has improved and her strength returned.

The danger is that eventually it will burst again, perhaps fatally this time. You want to make sure that you have access to a vet for emergencies because you may find yourself in the position of needing to put her to sleep in a hurry.

With my dog the tumour was also in his heart so we went from a normal happy to to having to put him to sleep in 4 days. Originally the internal bleeding looked like he may have gotten into rat poison so we gave him a transfusion and treated him with vitamin k1.

He perked up for two days then started to fade. An ultrasound showed the tumour on his heart so we knew that it was time.

Like I said, the one good thing is that unlike some tumours, this one does not cause pain.

Basically it is a personal decision you have to make by observing your dog, but hopefully it helps when you know how the tumour behaves.

Good luck. So sorry to hear about your dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
We have made this decision 6 times for 6 dogs, over the years. It is not easy.
What dogs have is quality of life. I think you will know when her quality or life is low.
She knows how much you love her. I am so sorry your friend is not well. Hugs to both of you.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top