Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having tremendous difficulty with this. I have both Pedipaw (an electric device that's supposed to be gentle) and a regular clipper. The problem is that Chance won't let me go near her nails with any device! She jumps up and wants to get away. She's a very calm, cooperative, gentle dog. I think she's just very scared. I've tried doing this gradually--just introducing her to the Pedipaw device with it off. As soon as it's near her toes, she jumps up and wants to get away. Same with regular clippers. I spent a few days introducing the Pedipaw and then immediately rewarding (treat), then moving it away, then introducing and rewarding, etc. She just does NOT want any device near her toes. Should I just be more forceful and make sure she can't get up? Or should I get a tranquilizer for her? I don't know how I'd do that but I know my neighbor has to do that with her dog. Or just hire a professional? Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Tell ya what I did 2 weeks before I clipped Red's nails , when he would sit on the couch I played with his feet and nails all the time . When it came time to do the clipping he didnt care less :)

Just my experience .

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell ya what I did 2 weeks before I clipped Red's nails , when he would sit on the couch I played with his feet and nails all the time . When it came time to do the clipping he didnt care less :)

Just my experience .
If I gently play with her toes, she doesn't seem to mind at all. I can try playing more and more with her toes but I think it's the clippers that scare her more than my touching her toes.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hmmm.. maybe try clipping them at bath time? Wrap him up in a towel and take each foot out one by one to clip. I've never had an issue with Zoey as far as clipping her nails go, but she is -always- far calmer when she has just come out of the tub, and I want to do something like trim her face hair, brush her teeth or clip her nails. She's very calm and timid at bath time. It could be worth a try unless your dog doesn't like bath time either.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Have you tried having someone else hold her and feed her treats as you hold her paw and cut her nails? That's how we're introducing our puppy to nail clipping--and she doesn't have any problem at all.

This way she associates getting her nails clipped with getting something pleasant--her treats. And, while she's chewing away on the treats she doesn't have time to worry about her paws.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts