Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old siberian husky. She has been really healthy untill about 10 days ago. She started to just be lasy and didn`t want to get up much. We took her to the vet and they did an xray and found her tummy was stuffed full of something. We took her home, she did have a slight fever. 2 days later I had to rush her in because she was wimpering and in a lot of pain so they went in to get it out. They did get some foam from a cousion out and we thought it was over. She came home a few days later a little better but still didn`t act right. She has a constant fever of around 103.4. She has her ups and downs with either no energy and having problems walking or at times ahe will greet us at the door wagging her tail. No vomiting or anything and she eats a little and drinks. They give her different antibionics 4 times and she responds a little the next day and then back down. They checked her for parvo 2 times, did blood work and the liver and all organs are ok. She just seems to be a little unbalanced at times and groans when tryng to sleep. 3 vets are trying to figure it out but nothing yet. They don`t think it was the foam because her symptoms are the same as they were before removing it. As far as I know she hasn`t been into any toxins. We have a 2 year old male husky and he is fine. Monday they are going to do blood work for toxins because she got into the litter box a lot.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Are they sure that they removed all of the foam? Was there any necrotic tissue in the intestines? I would talk to the vet again or talk to another vet. Young puppies go downhill quickly and you will want to get this all resolved. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, they checked everything. Her symptoms match those of toxoplasmosis that is found in cat poop. They gave her a small dose of steroids that really helped her get out and about untill the bloodwork from the lab gets back tuesday. I know that`s not a long term fix but at least it gives them time to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm assuming this isn't an issue, but any chance the puppy got into raw meat? My parents had farm dogs that dug up some remains from a hunt, and got quite sick, much like you describe. It took about a week though and they were back to normal- in the meantime, they were so sick they wouldn't even lift their head to look at you. They would eat when we brought them food, but wouldn't even get up to go to the bathroom, they would just shuffle over a bit after they were done their business. It was horrible to watch, but both made it through ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well just an update. the bloodwork came back positive for toxoplasmosis. she is on med and little by little each day is getting more mentally better. she is starting to talk to me with her little howls when I come home from work. she still is limping but the vet said it is a slow recovery from this bacteria. i must say I have seen a few dogs in my day and even had a dog sick with parvo but I have never seen the suffering that this nasty bacteria causes when it infects the central nervous system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts