Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow is almost 6 months old. He is a puppy at times of course but he knows commands (sit, sit stay, down). He is a Border Collie, Aussie, Lab(?) mix we think. he gets 2 walks a day. the morning walk is between 15 and 25 mins long and his evening walk is at least an hour, sometimes longer. we have some issues that we need help correcting. The first is barking. he barks at anyone walking by outside and he also barks at us. loud noises only make it worse (firm loud NO, clapping hands etc.) on walks he wont bark at anyone or even at dogs barking at him. he does however bark at children 100% of the time! this bothers me and my wife. the other problem is his biting. i tried hard to teach him inhibition but he still bites pretty hard. my wife has bruises from his biting! the third thing, and this isnt a problem as much as a want, is that our cats have not left the upstairs bedroom since Shadow came home. He really doesnt care about them, he sniffs at them, decides they are boring and goes about his business but they HATE him! If anyone could offer some suggestions for any of the above issues it would be greatly appreciated. and if any one has some ideas on getting cats and dogs to coexist that would be great too but is not as important as the other issues.

Thank You SOOO much in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My thoughts:

Because of the breed, I'm going to guess that your dog isn't getting enough exercise. He needs to do more than walk. He needs to run and chase things. A frisbee would be ideal. Herders need to chase something. Try a Flirt Pole.

He needs mental stimulation! He's a smart guy and he's bored.

Teach him to bark on command. Then teach him "Quiet". That way, when he starts to bark, you can give the Quiet command. Yelling at your dog (or even a loud NO) sounds like a bark to him. That just makes him think that everybody's getting into it. :)

Tell me more about his biting. When does he bite? under what circumstances? What do you do when he bites?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Shadow thinks it's his job to warn off intruders and children and that's not all bad. We all want a good watchdog but, we have to set the boundries/rules. When he goes into alert mode you need to step forward and investigate. Get between Shadow and the 'intruder' showing him that you're taking over...his job is done after the first few alert barks.
Thank him for doing a good job, ask for Quiet or Enough, yawn (let him see you doing that) and walk away. Yawning shows him that there is nothing to be concerned about (dogs understand yawns). This isn't a quick fix but, with practice the barking should decrease significantly.

The biting is much more serious. Can you give an example of what happened prior to the bite(s)?....who was doing what?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biting happens all the time, not after any certain event. You pet him, he bites, you play, he bites.

As for more exercise he will be running this week. he was just neutered recently so we had to take it easy. We cannot run with him though because he bites if we run. I have a frisbee he goes after just trying to get him to bring it back 100% of the time.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
There is play biting, aggressive biting and fear biting. I'm still not sure what you're dealing with from your description.
For play biting...hands/arms should not be there...there is no reason for playing that way with a dog.
Aggessive biting is not very likely with a 6 month old but, it can happen with dogs that are wired wrong. They just flat out attack for what seems like little or no reason at all and it's very serious...they intend to maim or kill.
Fear biting comes to play when the dog feels threatened....petting that goes beyond petting and now becomes domination (a threat to the dog); a medical condition that causes pain (fear of being touched in that area); any perceived threat to the dog....staring at the dog, bending over the top of the dog (domination), threatening gestures/movements (usually sudden, quick and/or forceful), loud or scary noises.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I am pretty sure it is play biting. he just bites very hard.
Read The Bite Stops Here. He's primarily a herding dog and herding breeds do tend to be nippy (it's hardwired) so you need to teach him what is appropriate (his toys) and what isn't appropriate (you and all people) to bite.

Herding breeds must have jobs to do. These jobs can be obedience training, trick training (i.e picking up his toys or bringing you objects by name),lessons such as agility, herding, etc. Basically anything that uses his mind as well as his body. If he doesn't have jobs to do he'll find his own and chances are excellent that you will not like his choices.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts