Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old puggle (estimated age, she was adopted and that was the best guess the vets could give me). She was very playful when we first got her (FEB 2011), but now she's just kind of...blah. I try chasing her, and having her chase me, but she gets bored after about 5 minutes. She will play with other dogs, but only if there's one dog; anymore than that and she gets overwhelmed.

I have noticed that she loves, loves, LOVES, chasing after cats and squirrels. Also, when I make toys "come alive" by having them run across the carpet, she loves pouncing on them.

My question is, can anybody suggest any games for my dog and I to play? I would assume by her behavior that she likes hunting games. I have bought a few books with game suggestions, but the books require her to do advanced tricks that she doesn't know how to do, or they think that you have unlimited space.

I live in a big city, but I do have access to a baseball/soccer field and a dog park. Any suggestions would be great. She knows basic commands and she does like to run.

If it helps, she is definitely more beagle then pug.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sounds like he may enjoy a flirt pole. Its basically a stick with a rope attached to it on one end and a toy attached to the other. A lot of people use horse lunge whips. I found an old bamboo stick. Here's a video of one of the members here (Keechack) using one with her two beautiful Australian Shepherds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmlGbeIbemw.

You can also work on obedience (sit, stay, down, etc.) and reward with the flirt pole. But, I would say that while the flirt pole is a great tool, you should teach your dog leave it and how to stay when the flirt pole is being dragged around. I noticed when I worked with my dog with the flirt pole that if we saw small animals or squirrels or other prey, she was much more ready to take off after it. So, we worked with leaving it and staying while the flirt pole was being used around her so that I can use those commands with real prey in case I don't want her chasing after something.

Edit: Beagles usually love sniffing games and following their noses. I play this with my dog. I get a nice smelly treat (little bit of cooked meat, liver treat, etc.) and let her smell it. I put her in the other room. I hide the treat relatively easy to find. I let her out and say "Find it!". I occasionally point to things and she sniffs and eventually I help her get the treat. After she kind of gets the hang of it, I stay in one spot and say "Find it!" while she has to look for the treat herself. I am sure there are other ways to teach it, that is just what worked for me. When we are done, I say "All done", so that eventually she knows that "All Done" means we are done and there is no more hidden food.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts