Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auriel has gone through a full potty regression. Now I know I am no where near her being potty trained, poor pup is only 13 weeks, and I blame it on the fireworks last night. Last 2 days were beautifully accident free until after dark last night. I asked my neighbors to not shoot off fireworks when I'm out taking Auriel potty, the neighbors on my right complied because they had also asked to park their cars in my back yard while they shot fireworks off from their driveway. Neighbors on the left basically told me to do things not repeatable on the forum.

We've had 2 poo and pee accidents, EACH! I swear I'm trying to do everything correct. She's on a feeding schedule, she's crated if I can't watch her, and tethered to me the rest of the time. Both poos were not at the usual times so goes, and one pee accident was I let out her from the crate, clipped the leash to her and she peed while I was opening the door. :doh: Other one was on my couch. We've been watching movies and she just walked to the end of the couch and squatted. Its actually easier to clean the couch than my carpet. Both poo accidents were where instead of crating her I tethered her to a door knob while I went potty. I ignore all accidents in the house, don't let her watch me clean them up, use Nature's Miracle to clean the spots, but back to the fireworks.

Twice while I was taking her out last night the neighbors on the left let off seriously loud rockets. One scared both of us, I literally jumped out of my skin, and poor Auriel did a back flip trying to run away but got halted suddenly by the leash. After that, she has been reluctant to go outside, I'm having to carry her, and when I put her down to potty she immediately wants to be picked back up. I'm still trying to make pottying outside a party and if my neighbors ruined my dog, I swear I'm gonna go think terrible thoughts about them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am so sorry. I don't really know that much about pups as I have my first one but I know in both the puppy class I took and what others have told me is to never carry my pup (mine is a little dog, less than 10 pounds) because if you baby them too much they "pick up" on your stress. You are suppose to just act like nothing is abnormal....I know that is easier said than done but that is the only thing I thought of when I read your post. Sometimes I am practically dragging mine by her halter:) Sounds like you are doing everything right and I bet after a few days of being consistent she will get back in the groove. You are doing great....it sure is hard raising a puppy, isn't it? I never dreamed...................

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The Fourth is so hard on dogs. I used to love fireworks, but now I hate them. It's nothing you're doing wrong, I promise. She's just stressed from the noise and it will take her a few days to a week to calm down.

·
Registered
703 Posts
She's still so young. The 4th could have set her back, but it should be months anyway before she's perfectly trained.

It sounds like you're doing everything right

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Being she is so young ... with due time I believe she will be alright. It is not nice at all of your neighbors for doing what they did! I would be very upset with them!

It sounds as if you are doing everything correctly. Just keep doing the potty training 101 .... and I hope the neighbors fireworks all get wet. :p

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I boiled up some chicken and using it basically as bribery to get her out the door.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I am so sorry. I don't really know that much about pups as I have my first one but I know in both the puppy class I took and what others have told me is to never carry my pup (mine is a little dog, less than 10 pounds) because if you baby them too much they "pick up" on your stress. You are suppose to just act like nothing is abnormal....I know that is easier said than done but that is the only thing I thought of when I read your post. Sometimes I am practically dragging mine by her halter:) Sounds like you are doing everything right and I bet after a few days of being consistent she will get back in the groove. You are doing great....it sure is hard raising a puppy, isn't it? I never dreamed...................
That's funny -- when telling her our puppy would stop and refuse to walk our trainer said "Don't torture the poor puppy - just carry him." It isn't because of stress that we're carrying him, however, it's because he decides he's done walking, or doesn't want to walk, and just sits and stares at us. He DOES know that he can be asked to be picked up when he's freaked about a situation, however, and will nearly jump into my arms if we're out walking and an unleashed dog is coming towards us! Really convenient, actually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts