Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making a very long story as short as possible...our dog ate Science Diet for the first seven years of his life. Then he developed horrible, horrible hot spots and it was suggested on this forum that he had an allergy to wheat and/or soy and that we should switch to Natural Balance. Thank you! It worked sooo well. The hot spots were gone in just days. He slimmed down and looked awesome for almost a year now. But now he has developed horrible dandruff on his back. We looked into all the causes and the only thing left that he is not getting enough fat. So we tried giving him a bit of fish oil and/or meat fat. It works but...the gas. OMFG, the gas he passes. We have to leave the room and I am seriously considering buying stock in Febreze. So, any suggestions for a dog food that is hypo-allergenic like Natural Balance Potato and Duck, but that has more fat in it? Our noses thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I had the same exact issue with Leroy when i fed him natural balance limited ingredients and added fish oil for dry skin---eeekk! just like u said, terrible gas.

since the food works so well for u, stick with it and try different supplements instead. It is hard to find a good food and if your dog's only issue is dandruff, consider urself lucky.

Here is what my vet recommended:
http://www.petco.com/product/15044/Solid-Gold-Seameal-Mineral-and-Vitamin-Supplement-for-Horses-Dogs-and-Cats.aspx

read the reviews and try it out, or try other supplements for dry coat/skin. obviously it may or may not work, keep looking and ask ur vet for advice...
good luck!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Flax oil also works w/o the fishy smell. Sold in drug stores/grocery stores, usually as capsules for people. Pierce capsule w/a pin and squeeze over food.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Try freezing the fish oil caps and serve it frozen.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would probably continue feeding the fish oil in the form of capsules, sardines, herring, etc and add yogurt to his diet. That's what I do for mine. And their gas rarely smells. At 65 to 80 lbs, they get about 2 T plain yogurt every day. Mine are also on NB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses! I think I will keep him on NB. I would just be too worried about him developing hot spots again with anything else. That was such a nightmare. I'll try squeezing the oil on his food. I remember having a lab growing up and he ate the supermarket dog food and was healthy as a horse. Remember that awful food with the hairs in it? Ick! But that used to be about all there was! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts