Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some corrections.

My dog is a 2 year old female Pomeranian.

Dog can approach people (usually neighbors) but with sit/stay command then release (a variation. more like "attack"). Dog approaches neighbor then gets snuggled. Runs (looks more like zoomies. not calm) back at me without recall. Sometimes runs back at the neighbor for more snuggles. Then goes back at me. Frequency of length of time with a neighbor gets shorter and she returns to me faster (5-10 seconds) from the previous minutes. I do not issue any recall when this is happening. I'm attributing it to getting used to the neighbors. My fear is the zoomies that is caused by excitement.

Comments, Suggestions, Corrections Please.

Second question is with dogs. She's very sensitive with her backside due to vet's stool checker thing so she dislikes (non-aggressive. more like uncomfortable) getting her rear-end touched or sniffed by dogs. She wants to sniff other dogs (off-leash dogs with no person). I let her leash go as long as the leash is loose (my dog simply walks to the dog) When an off-leash dog wants to sniff her, I let go of her leash to prevent her from feeling restricted. Past month she lets herself be sniffed. She sometimes gets the zoomies by running back at me with no recall. My fear is the same as above.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I don't really understand what the question here is.

Zoomies aren't an inherently bad thing. You have a young happy dog.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Need some corrections.

My dog is a 2 year old female Pomeranian.

Dog can approach people (usually neighbors) but with sit/stay command then release (a variation. more like "attack"). Dog approaches neighbor then gets snuggled. Runs (looks more like zoomies. not calm) back at me without recall. Sometimes runs back at the neighbor for more snuggles. Then goes back at me. Frequency of length of time with a neighbor gets shorter and she returns to me faster (5-10 seconds) from the previous minutes. I do not issue any recall when this is happening. I'm attributing it to getting used to the neighbors. My fear is the zoomies that is caused by excitement.

It sounds like nerve. The dog is in conflict. She wants the neighbor to interact with her but she is conflicted because she is afraid as well. She is more comfortable with you. So she runs to the neighbor because part of her wants to be friendly. Then she runs away and "unloads" her stress (nerve is always stress) by zooming around. She comes back to you (safety) then rinses and repeats.

The only way to fix this is to keep her on leash and keep her from interacting with the neighbor. I don't know what your situation is, but I do not let people pet my dog or handle my dog. OTOH if this person is a part of your life a LOT then getting her comfortable with this person is something you can work on. You cannot force the dog to stay with the neighbor until she is ready to unload and zoom. You can put her on leash and let her interact and then withdraw her to you (just walk away) well before she has the zoomies. Also, being a Pom, she is little. If the neighbor is leaning over her that will increase her stress.

I don't let other people play with or pet my dog. I advocate for me dog.. and since she finds you safe, you should do likewise. No need for people other than you to handle your dog or pet your dog.

Second question is with dogs. She's very sensitive with her backside due to vet's stool checker thing so she dislikes (non-aggressive. more like uncomfortable) getting her rear-end touched or sniffed by dogs. She wants to sniff other dogs (off-leash dogs with no person). I let her leash go as long as the leash is loose (my dog simply walks to the dog) When an off-leash dog wants to sniff her, I let go of her leash to prevent her from feeling restricted. Past month she lets herself be sniffed. She sometimes gets the zoomies by running back at me with no recall. My fear is the same as above.

She is not in heat and is not wanting to be mounted so she scoots. She is nervy and a bit afraid (again). I assume she is spayed.

Why is she "around other dogs?" There is absolutely NO need for her to be interacting with other dogs. Her scooting around is telling you she is uncomfortable and a bit overwhelmed. If this is a dog park, stop going there. Advocate for your dog and do not let other dogs approach especially since she is not a fan of being sniffed (and who can blame her). Running back to you is the same as the first situation. She finds you safe. Since she finds you safe, keep it that way and keep her away from other dogs. Get between her and other dogs and help her for golly sakes!!

Oh and the vet taking a stool sample is NOT why she scoots away. It has nothing to do with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts