Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i've been a hobby groomer for over 30 years. I currently have 3 standard and 1 toy poodle. I just want to keep them trimmed and shaped between groomings. I've had so many kinds of clippers over the years. When i bought my last pair, i considered the Arco because I'd read good groomer reviews. I was concerned about sharpening though, and bought the Wahl KM with a #10 blade.

The blade became dull (so dull it won't cut at all) extremely quickly. I wash it after every use in blade wash (the kind you dip in). I AM guilty of clipping dirty fur, as I don't wash FFT every time I touch up. I've heard this dulls blades faster.

Any suggestions or advice on keeping my blade sharp longer? Also, I'm considering getting the Arco now. Can the blades on that be sharpened? If not, how long do they typically last? What are the major differences between the full size and mini? Which do you prefer?

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would be surprised if any blade lasts longer than 10 uses if you are clipping dirty fur. Dirty fur dulls blades..very fast. As a professional groomer, I use the same blades every day, on 10-15 CLEAN dogs only, and those blades never need sharpening more than once a year at the most. Yes, some blade sharpeners can and will sharpen the Arco blades. Yes, they will still dull fast if you keep clipping dirty hair. I have the same Arco blade (again, used every day) for over 6 months now..but again, I only clip clean hair. The best way to get the most life out of your blades is to keep them oiled, clean, and only clip clean hair. With 3 standards and a toy, I would get the full size arco.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use Andis. I like Geib buttercut blades. I order from petedge, and occasionaly ryans. Others will have a favorite clipper. I have had the same hand-me-down Andis for several years, and though they will need replacing in the next year, they have been used for many years, on a professional level. The groomer who originaly bought them gave them to another groomer, and she in turn gave them to me, only because they wanted fancier models, of the same brand. they are the no frills redish color: Andis AG Super 2-Speed Clipper.
I don't clip dirty dogs either, mostly :eek: And when I do, I use my old blades and do a quick rough in, just to get enough long hair off so I can get a nasty dog clean.
Ryans doesn't sell my buttercut blades, but they often have a special going on where if you buy such and such combo of blades, you get a free blade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts