Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maddie is a westie mix; i.e. itchy feet! I tried her on my poodle's good food (Acana Pacifica) which didn't work, after she came to me on Pro Plan Small Breed (very itchy, and matted hair between paw pads, which I have since shaved out). I also tried Innova Prime Chicken - no go. Both of these foods are chicken based, so I'd like to avoid chicken.

So....I have her on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach - only a 2 star food on www.dogfoodanalysis.com :redface: She's still a bit itchy, but better. I hate that I'm feeding her this food, so I'm on the hunt for a better food that she can tolerate.

Any suggestions? Maybe lamb and rice? I don't want a Diamond product...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nature's variety Instinct is a good quality, grain free food with chicken free formulas. Earthborn is another one to consider.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nature's variety Instinct is a good quality, grain free food with chicken free formulas. Earthborn is another one to consider.
I feed NV: Instinct and my dogs do GREAT on it. Instinct has chicken free and limited ingredient formulas.
More easily available foods would be Wellness Core, Blue Wilderness, Innova, and Innova Prime (off the top of my head).

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Just an fyi this time of the year, at the vet I intern for, we see a lot of itchy feet.. and almost all of the dogs have an environmental allergy.

That said, if you're bent on treating it as food allergy and want something fish based like the ProPlan, I liked Wellness whitefish and potato, Blue buffalo has a fish and potato, Canidae does too (not sure if they're diamond), Holistic select has an anchovy based formula.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not positive it's the food, but Westies tend to have a lot of food allergies; hence the food angle. She was also itchier after being given the foods I mentioned in my original post. I may try giving her a Benadryl, to see if it helps. Her itching is not frantic, but I do have to watch her and tell her to stop from time to time. Her feet have red staining on the bottom, as does her mustache and beard, due to her licking. Her feet aren't as bad looking since I shaved them out, since they can stay drier now. Her eyes are fine - no running or oozing. Poops are fine.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
176 Posts
My dog has both food and seasonal allergies and after many years I have finally figured out that potato was making him lick his feet. He eats Nature's Variety Instinct food in the am and THK at night and it has done wonders for him. I find that getting the food alllergy figured out has also really helped control the seasonal ones. Also when they lick their feet a lot they tend to get a yeast infection which is made worse by potatoes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had my German Shepherd on Acana grasslands. The proteins used for this formula and mainly Lamb, Walleye, Duck, and egg. It's really good, I hope it works for your doggie. Acana also has other two "sensitive" formulas which are chicken/burbank potato and duck/apple. Just giving my 2 cents, and yes STAY WAY from Diamond.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We suspect that Biscuit had a chicken sensitivity. She eats Acana Ranchlands and that has worked well for us. It's got all red meat and some fish, but no poultry. I know Pacifica didn't work for her, but maybe a different formula?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Maddie is a westie mix; i.e. itchy feet! I tried her on my poodle's good food (Acana Pacifica) which didn't work, after she came to me on Pro Plan Small Breed (very itchy, and matted hair between paw pads, which I have since shaved out). I also tried Innova Prime Chicken - no go. Both of these foods are chicken based, so I'd like to avoid chicken.

So....I have her on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach - only a 2 star food on www.dogfoodanalysis.com :redface: She's still a bit itchy, but better. I hate that I'm feeding her this food, so I'm on the hunt for a better food that she can tolerate.

Any suggestions? Maybe lamb and rice? I don't want a Diamond product...

Hi Georgiapeach,
Have you ever thought about having your dog allergy tested to find out what else maybe causing her itchiness? Good Luck, hope Maddie feels better.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dog has both food and seasonal allergies and after many years I have finally figured out that potato was making him lick his feet. He eats Nature's Variety Instinct food in the am and THK at night and it has done wonders for him. I find that getting the food alllergy figured out has also really helped control the seasonal ones. Also when they lick their feet a lot they tend to get a yeast infection which is made worse by potatoes.
I'm wondering the same thing, since both Innova Prime Chicken and Turkey and Acana Pacifica both make her really itchy soon after eating it. The Pro Plan doesn't have potato in it (rice and barley instead). Thinking about trying Wellness Simple or Holistic Selects. They're both better than what Maddie's currently eating.

Masterjedi - avoiding allergy testing - too pricey. Luckily, Maddie's itching doesn't cause her to scratch herself raw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts