Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, me and my fiance decided to rescue a 4 year old 'min pin', and she is turning out to be the most well behaved perfect little dog... BUT, there is one big behavior issue I do not know how to deal with...
In short, I think she has been abused for peeing or pooping in the house ( previous owner probably didn't walk her etc, and then got mad when she did her business inside. )
So, she holds it for like 2 days before she will go ! I walk her like 6 times a day, for long periods, and it is like she is afraid to pee or poop in front of me. Last night, I walked into the dining room and she was peeing on the floor... when she saw me she started yelping and hiding. :0( poor thing... I try to give her a treat to reassure her it's ok, but I think she is just scarred mentally, and has a fear of using the restroom... so to speak.
What can I do to help her to feel comfortable ??? If she will never pee while being walked, then that means she will always pee indoors while everyone is away etc, and that's not gonna work out. Not to mention it cannot be good for her to hold it for so long !

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree. Sounds like she was hammered for peeing inside. You are going to have to ignore these indoor accidents.

I would go back to basics - re teach the toilet training from the beggining like she were a puppy.

That means crate training her and crateing her when you are not there and when you go to bed. Tethering her to one of you or too a piece of furniture when your are home and take her outside every hour. If she does not toilet within 5 minutes, bring her in and a few minutes later take her out again and keep repeating until she goes then Wow throw a party - really high value treats ( that you already had on you in anticipation) and happy voice "good dog, piddle piddle" ( or whatever you choose).

She will want to toilet soon after waking from a sleep and a few minutes after eating.

You basically need to keep one eye on her 100% of the time. If you see her stop playing and starting to sniff, walk her outside quickly.

If she does have an accident try and keep some of the urine or poop and spread this in the area you want her to go and always take her to this spot. Replenish the smells from time to time. Clean up accidents with an enzym cleaner or white vinegar.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I would purchase a portable run (if you have room) place it outside in shaded area and instead of walking just put dog in kennel and leave for 15 minutes alone to do duty. Actually with a dog that small a puppy pen would work. By herself maybe some of the pressure is off her she may relax and get job done. The ideal setup would be where you can watch her through a window. Then when she gets job done rush out and a big happy-petting party is given. With some to die for treats.

Gradually walking can be added after duty is done. Will this work, don't have a clue but something to try.

This stuff may not be possible where you live.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota wasn't that bad, but he had to "hide" from me behind bushes and such to poop. He won't poop anywhere near the house, and will hold it despite having diarrhea. How he does that, I can't imagine.

I would turn my back to him when he pooped, then treat and praise heavily.

You also want to generally raise trust and confidence. Time is the biggest part of that, but clicker training and a positive only outlook helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I would purchase a portable run (if you have room) place it outside in shaded area and instead of walking just put dog in kennel and leave for 15 minutes alone to do duty. Actually with a dog that small a puppy pen would work. By herself maybe some of the pressure is off her she may relax and get job done. The ideal setup would be where you can watch her through a window. Then when she gets job done rush out and a big happy-petting party is given. With some to die for treats.

Gradually walking can be added after duty is done. Will this work, don't have a clue but something to try.

This stuff may not be possible where you live.
Ditto, but I wouldn't rush out when you see her going. That might scare her (she's used to being corrected for peeing, so she might think she's going to get it for going) at this point. I would put her in the pen, go back into the house, and watch from a window. When she's gone, wait a minute or two and quietly go bring her back into the house. When she's pretty consistant with going in the pen outside (make sure you hose it down once a day, or move it, or whatever so it isn't too stinky) then start staying in the yard but not looking right at her - sit and read the paper near the house for example, keeping an eye on her without staring and do the same. Then putter in the yard, and gradually be nearby when she's going.

When you're in the yard with her and she's not needing to potty, make sure the pen is open in case she decides she needs to go.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
What kind of leash are you walking her with? Some dogs never learned to go their business on leash. If it were me, I'm put her on a flexi lead or a long line and take her to the park. Bring a blanket, a book, and some high value dog treats. Set up camp in a nice grassy area and read. When she finalyy goes potty, quietly praise and slowly underhand toss treats in her direction. It'll probably help if you pick a spot where other dogs frequently pee too.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Everyone else gave very good advise, so I don't really have anything to add, just that this is so sad and I really hope this situation gets resolved. I once knew a chihuahua who was punished for using the bathroom ANYWHERE, this includes outside. He was held his waste for four days straight. Just really breaks my heart.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I agree to praise quietly when you do get success. I also like the idea to put the dog outside in an X-pen (2 hooked together would give a nice space).

How does she react to the leash? My dog, Potsie, is very fearful of his leash and I have to keep my hands down at my sides at all times, or he thinks I'm going to beat him, poor guy. He was severely abused in his former life, and patience is definitely the key. After two years, he still doesn't like being watched when he potties out in the yard. He'll just stand there and stare at me until I leave him alone. He has started going on walks, thank goodness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts