Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I have a 10 mo old APBT named Isis....

The issue that I am having is that she is sooooooo submissive. At first I was happy about this as it made me feel much better taking her out because people could immediately see how sweet she is....but I also thought she would kinda grow out of it a little...but so far she hasn't (I know that she is still young).....I am just worried that this behavior is going to go from submissive to fear :(

I am trying to make sure she is introduced to other dogs and animals....I take her out every Saturday to Petsmart (Saturday is adoption day so lots of dogs)....and I take her over to my sisters house (she has 3 cats) so that she can learn to be around other animals....she has no interest in the cats at all !! she usually sniffs them and thats it...if they hiss at her she is gone !!!

When she is at petsmart she is not afraid to approach other dogs..she will pull to get to them...but when she gets there ...she belly crawls, gets as low as possible ...most of the time ends up on her back belly up....and pees!...I have gotten to the point that I just carry around a wad of paper towels in my pocket to clean up after her

I just wondering how I can help her with this....I want her to be socialized but I don't want to cause her to fear by pushing her to much???

BTW she has no issues at home at all around my other two:D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Don't worry about the submissive behavior to other dogs. She's just being polite. She is still a puppy, a teenage one, but a puppy still, so this could easily change over the next year as she matures into full adulthood. And be aware that her friendliness towards/ignoring other animals MAY also change over the next year or so. Of course, it may not, but you should always be vigilant.

Good for you for cleaning up after her!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...I am hoping that she will "warm up" with age

I did also want to say that I never leave any of my animals together unsupervised....if we are not home they go into their crates or behind baby gates

and as far as my sisters cats ....we are with her 100% of the time or the cats are downstairs be hide a 6ft gate:D

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I don't think you have big problem I might try the old turn around and go the other way right before she goes into submissive mode or as close to it as you can. We all like to have something we can't have, by walking away it might improve her attitude down the road and she is young you have plenty of time. Eventually when you make turn she may fight and want to push towards dogs which is ok but 1st sign of submission away you go other direction. Will this work, don't have a clue. Won't hurt though and it's worth a try, keep a journal on the reactions of your dog. You should just remain neutral to your dog. If stuff is unimportant to you it becomes unimportant to dog.(at least that's what the experts say)

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
work on her confidence.

You can do it all sneaky like by usuing her down or sit.

basically...up the reward ante for that one behavior you choose. Shout praises grab her and hug her feed her out of the ordinary treats for this behavior you choose that she already knows.
if she gets shy at any time...ask her for that behavior. and reward in the same manner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts