Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This will be my first post. My name is Melissa and I have a 3.5 year old Pit/Lab or Boxer/who knows what mix. She is 52 pounds on a good day. She is very active, lovable, and well behaved. She doesn't beg, she doesn't bark, she loves everybody, she lets kids poke her in the eye as much as they want, she doesn't eat trash or food dropped on the floor unless you tell her she can, I can leave food on the floor and go to the store and it still be there, and now everything is going haywire.

Here is her story, and my concern

I got her in September 2005, from a local rescue. She was about 4 months old then, and from there we started our battle. It took about a year from there of trial and error to find out what she was allergic to. I still find new things all the time I could have saved a lot of time by having her allergy tested, but I was a college Sophomore and could not afford it.

Her Allergies that I have found since (that I can think of off the top of my head):
Chicken
Wheat
Tomatoes
Pressed Rawhide (the clear kind, but not the natural white-ish kind)
Beef
Turkey
And most anything ingested that I do not clearly know the ingredients of :(

She can eat:
Venison
Lamb
Rice (all kinds)
Tuna
Eggs
Cheese
etc.
Various Veggies
Fish food... lol

From then on, I started feeding her Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and rice, and occasionally Kirkland Lamb and Rice (when I didn't have any money). Then last October, she stopped eating!!! She went from eating every day, to every other day, to every three+ days! So, we did a bunch of blood tests, and everything else and she was cleared of any ailments. So I changed her food to the Venison and Rice formula. All was fine, she started back to eating one bowl (about 8 cups) every other day (she probably ate half a day, more on active days), and now she is eating a whole bowl a day, and wanting more. She has also started eating stuff out of the trash, which she has NEVER done.

So, here is my concern. I am thinking something is missing out of her diet, and she needs a better food. I want to stay in the same general price range for food, but I can go to about 70-90 per ~30-40lbs of food if absolutely necessary. If I can feed her at the same price by making her food myself, I will, but I need advice on this.

I monitor this girl like crazy. I know what she eats, if she gains or loses a pound (though I need to weigh her to see if this eating is effecting her, but she isnt any larger) She has never been overweight, more likely borderline underweight or perfect.

One weird thing, when she stopped eating, she gained 2 lbs... that was the weirdest part.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I free feed. She has never eaten more than what she needs to maintain her weight and energy, so I have never worried about it, but I do not fill her bowl more than once a day.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd have a vet run bloodwork. Something might be screwed up with her bloodwork that would show why she suddenly has a ravenous appetite. Cushings will do that as will Hyperthyroidism and some hormonal problems. She seems kinda young to have Cushings, but I'm not a vet.

It's always a good idea when some abnormal behavior shows up to get a vet to check it out. Even if the dog turns out to be healthy and just liking her food, it gives you a baseline in case you have future problems.

As far as good foods- Taste of the Wild makes a Venison and Bison kibble, a fish one and a duck one. I believe the Venison and Bison as well as the fish one are grain free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has only been a little over 3 months since the doc ran bloodwork on her, and everything was completely normal... He cant find anything wrong with her. I don't know... :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts