Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
First off thank you for doing the kind thing for your dog and sending her to live somewhere where you knew she'd be happier. Clearly you cared for her. Second - you're right, a smaller dog would probably do best in your situation. You'll want to look for a mellow dog with a calm temperament.. even some smaller dogs can be too energetic/hyper for an apartment (chihuahuas and yorkies, in my experience), and a calm dog will probably make a better emotional support dog. But of course every dog is different, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Please adopt, don't shop. You mentioned you'd like an older dog, so it's almost certain you'll find your perfect companion in a shelter.
As to what breeds would work best... you said you have anti-social tendencies and prefer to spend time with animals, but also that your dog would have to interact with lots of people in the apartment complex. So you'd want a dog who would bond strongly to one person (you) but also one that's friendly to others. I would say look into a Cavalier King Charles.. many of my friends have lived with them and they are super friendly, quiet, and a delight to snuggle with 😊
But don't count out mixed breeds, they can be amazing pets too!
Best of luck

1 - 1 of 1 Posts