Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, in addition to the bad weather that impacted my area over the weekend it was a horrible time for me because I had to make the decision to give up my Dog and I am positively gutted over it but it was the best thing for my Dog and had to be done. I had a 4-year old female German Shepherd who was my world. I live on the 3rd floor of a high rise condo. There is an elevator to go to the ground floor and also back to my floor and I would take my dog out 5 to 6 times a day for potty breaks and walks. My dog was very sensitive and did not take well to all of the people we would encounter on our way to the elevator or in the lobby of the building when we were heading to the front door and it took a dear toll on my Dog to the point where she became horribly stressed and started to shut down and this weekend I had to make the decision to do what was best for her and I took her to a friend who lives on acreage and finds good homes for Dogs. I have known this person for over 30 years and he is the closest thing to a true friend that I have. He told me that I can come visit my Dog as much as I want but I just think it would only increase the pain for myself and the Dog so I am staying away.

Not only was my Dog my best friend she was an Emotional Support Dog and she helped me so many times and already I feel lost without her. I have anti-social tendencies and I hate people and only feel at peace with animals. I know that I will be getting another Dog; not now but in the foreseeable future but I am torn as to what kind of Dog to get. I thought a German Shepherd was a good choice but obviously I was wrong or at least with her I was wrong. I like larger Dogs and a couple of people have suggested that I get a Lab or a Golden Retriever, but I don't to put another Dog through the hell that my GSD went through so I am in a quandary.

I want to ask this group for suggestions as to Dogs that could do well in the hustle and bustle of a Condo lifestyle and being exposed to people on a frequent basis. I want a middle age to older Dog say between 4 to 7 years old and I am willing to put in the time to train the Dog or finish whatever training might have been started. If anyone can make any suggestions or offer any advice it would be most appreciated. Thank you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts