Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay y’all, if any of you have followed over the last year or so... we live at the end of a dead end road and we get a lot of dumped animals out here. Normally we keep them until we get them vetted and try to find them new homes.

I was gone almost all morning/afternoon today when my husband calls me and says that our dogs got into a fight. Right away my mind goes to Nova and Odin, because those are OUR dogs. Nope, he tells me a German Shepherd showed up on our porch today and instead of putting it in the 12x12 kennel we use for strays he sticks it in the backyard. ??

Yeah, he says about two hours go by when he hears the dogs “going crazy” he goes out to see Nova on top of this other dog. She put a gash in his leg and bit through his ear. Nova is unscathed. I told him it was unwise to put a brand new adult dog that we don’t know in the back with our dogs.

Now my husband says my dog is “unstable and can’t be trusted”. We don’t know what happened, we don’t know why the dogs started fighting. But MY DOG is at fault. ? This is why I’m in charge of the animals, y’all. But I don’t know what to do, my husband no longer trusts her, doesn’t want her around our kids, wants her put down. All the bad things.

I don’t really have any questions, just kinda wanted to rant. But any thoughts or advice on this situation would be 100% appreciated.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Your husband is an idiot. I'm glad your dog is ok. I hope the other dog will be ok too... But it's so ridiculous to think that she can't be trusted because of an accident with ONE dog. That dog might have attacked her and she just defended herself. Who knows. Definitely not him as he was careless and didn't even keep an eye on them!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your husband is an idiot. I'm glad your dog is ok. I hope the other dog will be ok too... But it's so ridiculous to think that she can't be trusted because of an accident with ONE dog. That dog might have attacked her and she just defended herself. Who knows. Definitely not him as he was careless and didn't even keep an eye on them!

Exactly my thoughts. It’s my husbands reasoning that Nova is uninjured(and was on top) and the other dog is injured, so it must be her fault.

We have a separate kennel for a reason, to prevent incidents like this.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Sorry to hear that this happened. But... you have a Dutchie... and there was a strange dog in HER yard... It is kind of absurd for your husband to extrapolate and claim Nova is no longer safe around kids, should be put down?! etc. Dogs just don't often generalize like that. And yeah, there was damage. But totally untrustworthy? Really? Is your husband one of those 'dogs daren't draw blood ever!' people? I'm sure you know that among Dutchie/Mal owners there are very stable, well trained, and GOOD dogs who still would put holes in certain people or dogs, in certain situations. But breed aside, accidents happen. And this could have happened with any dog with any drop of protectiveness over territory, selectiveness towards other dogs, etc. I'm sure my older boy Soro would have done that much or worse in that situation.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Also, if this situation is too personal, it may not be a bad idea to have another trainer step in and 'evaluate' Nova or this incident. Anyone with significant others knows that sometimes truths are best told by a third party.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I mean, fundamentally...dogs are supposed to guard their territory and masters from strange predators. That's what dogs are for. Or were for, at least. Managing this aspect of dog psychology is a basic part of dog ownership. I don't have any marriage advice, but good luck. It does sound like it couldn't hurt to have your husband talk to a pro trainer, so he doesn't think you're just being soft on your own dog and therefore making excuses. Obviously I wasn't there, and I'm not a pro, but to me bites to the ear and leg maybe suggest your Nova was just harshly schooling the other dog.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My dogs have done far worse to each other, multiple times, yet they still coexist peacefully 99% of the time.

I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with this. I think it's great advice to have a professional come in and evaluate Nova, and make sure your husband is present. Also make sure you explain what happened in the best detail you are able to provide to said professional.

I can't imagine living with a dutchie (you have two though, right?) and being so oblivious and lacking basic basic dog behavior knowledge. My parents are that way and probably would have done the same thing, but they've always had easy going lab-type dogs.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I can sorta emphasize with the OP on this one. When I got Brae, my partner repeatedly questioned why we got 'this kind of dog', if we really needed 'this much dog', why I couldn't just train all the things I trained but with a 'normal dog', etc. I did all the training and outlined management plans in detail. But my partner "lives with" Brae just fine (and really, they love each other) because I did the groundwork and made it possible for my partner to do the stuff HE loves to do with a dog (hike off leash, go on runs, cuddle, chill out) while doing very little training with him. However, my partner was also already understanding of aggression and being careful around dogs because we had Soro first. And I believe (through personal experience and clients') you don't truly understand reactivity or aggression unless you've live with it, and learn to love that dog anyway. However, if a person has never experienced that really challenging (but normal) side of dog ownership, I can see how any altercation would seem abnormal, dangerous, out of the blue, etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think bringing in a professional trainer to evaluate Nova is a good idea. Thanks.

I can't imagine living with a dutchie (you have two though, right?) <I>
and being so oblivious and lacking basic basic dog behavior knowledge.</i>
Is this geared towards me? I hope not.

I can sorta emphasize with the OP on this one. When I got Brae, my partner repeatedly questioned why we got 'this kind of dog', if we really needed 'this much dog', why I couldn't just train all the things I trained but with a 'normal dog', etc. I did all the training and outlined management plans in detail. But my partner "lives with" Brae just fine (and really, they love each other) because I did the groundwork and made it possible for my partner to do the stuff HE loves to do with a dog (hike off leash, go on runs, cuddle, chill out) while doing very little training with him. However, my partner was also already understanding of aggression and being careful around dogs because we had Soro first. And I believe (through personal experience and clients') you don't truly understand reactivity or aggression unless you've live with it, and learn to love that dog anyway. However, if a person has never experienced that really challenging (but normal) side of dog ownership, I can see how any altercation would seem abnormal, dangerous, out of the blue, etc.

I feel that your partner and my husband are very similar in this aspect. He didn’t understand my want for such an intense breed, but supported my decision. Mostly he had always loved Nova, how reliant she was in public, was always confident in our ability to go out to public places, I feel like I had done a good job training her. But this incident has done a complete 180 in his mindset.

Hopefully he just needs some time to cool down and think things over. ?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What was the gender of the dog that "showed up?" Female? If a female then that is more answer than anything. Females and bitch fights have nothing to do with stability in either dog.

As suggested above, rehome the husband... and don't be too particular about the adopter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a female that would try to literally kill another dog in a fight. Like go for the belly serious. She didnt play around. She was always super stable and trustworthy her whole life around kids and the other small animals. This same dog would allow baby goats to suckle her and treated them like they were her babies. Fwiw

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Dog aggression and human aggression aren't the same thing... and we don't even know if this was aggression. Maybe the other dog started the fight! I have no idea why anyone would think it's a good idea to just drop a strange dog into another dog's territory. I agree with bringing in a (good) professional trainer or behaviorist just to explain to your husband that what he did was unwise and that your dog's reaction doesn't make her unstable.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
I imagine your husband just needs time to cool down and recover from the shock of it all. It can be quite shocking when your dog acts "abnormal", and it can make one question what's going on in their dog's head. I think your husband's decision to place an unknown dog in the backyard was quite stupid, and I hope he realizes the error of his ways! It could be that the unknown dog started the fight, and your dog defended herself and got the upper hand, delivering some wounds to prove it. And even if she started it, I don't really blame her...your husband should have been watching.

I think the idea of having a professional trainer in as a non biased third party to evaluate the situation and explain what I'm sure you've already explained to your husband is an excellent idea. I do hope this experience has at least taught him to think twice about so recklessly introducing strange dogs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
PLEASE, please, don't have your dog put to sleep. It wasn't the animals fault. It was your husbands. And THANK YOU for taking in animals that are dumped and trying to find them homes. You sound like a wonderful person.

Beth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts