Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on what to feed and how to treat would be great, (He will be going to the vet here shortly though, ) I was just wondering if anyone elses dog suffers from these stomach problems.
every now and then, lately more it seems, Wicket suffers from stomach issues. He is 45 pounds, mixed breed. not sure what breeds. they usually affect him in the mornings, he will wake me up whining like crazy to go outside, and you can actualy hear his stomach making gurgling noises. once outside he will eat grass, then eventualy this will lead to pooping like crazy, mostly soft stool. the stool will harden as the day goes on. He still eats during the day but less than usualy, due to his stomach sensitivity. I don't believe he has allergies, as there is no swelling, fever, etc...although he always had a bit of flaky skin. There usually is errr...gassy issues as well, that can clear a room in a heartbeat, poor guy....I believe they are more stomach sensitivity as I get stomach problems myself time to time. He is a little piggy, we found him on the street as a puppy and no one claimed him, and his problem is that he will eat any food he sees, and gets in trouble for always going after the cat food. but the problem happens whether he gets into other food or only on his food, I watch what he eats very carefully now.
a month can go by no problem then bam, they hit....usually for a day or two, then back to normal.
Right now he is on proplan shredded chicken, (which I don't like and plan on changing...it was on petperks and usually just fed regular proplan lamb and rice formula...although on both it still happened...so i was gonna change anyway)
Does anyone recommend any other foods that have worked?? I can't get anything too expensive as I have another dog and cats as well as myself and hubby to feed...lol. the big bag of proplan is about 40 dollars and so long it is within that price range with that same size we can handle it. (I sw some dog food at places that were 40 dollars for only 20 pounds that was just no way I can feed a 45 and 65 pound dog on...)
thanks so much....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Maybe find one without soy or corn? Kirkland from Costco is often mentioned. It is similar to a Diamond product if Costco doesn't work for you.

Here is the Proplan shredded chicken. I am thinking the soy, the corn, animal digest or the animal fat could be a problem.
Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), whole grain corn, soy flour, corn bran, soybean meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, glycerin, salt, dried egg product, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, sulfur, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc proteinate, manganese sulfate, niacin, manganese proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, copper proteinate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. R-4455

Here is the Kirkland chicken
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi...my dog also suffers from a sensitive stomach. His symptoms are the same as your guy.

Do you give him bones?? I've narrowed it down to soup marrow bones which I get from the supermarket. I think the marrow is too rich for him.

Try to not change his diet at all for 2-3 months and see if it happens again. Some dogs cannot handle any changes.

Even if you give him one thing different during the day -- log it down -- so you can look back and see what triggered the sensitivity.

I feed my guy Blue Buffalo Dry Food - 15 lb Bag is $25.00 --

Ingredients below....
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium.

It also comes in Lamb & Fish.

I also feed him boiled chicken & grilled beef & vegies. Once in awhile I give him eggs & ice cream too. Also 2 Milk-Bones in the morning.

:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for everyones replys, I am keeping a log now with times of what i feed him...

Hubby did admit to feeding him a little popcorn the night before this last stomach upset....sneaky.....lol.....

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'd also like to recommend adding enzymes/probiotics to your dog's food. Some people use yogurt for the probiotics. Since I use a dry/wet feeding program, I use a powdered supplement just for dogs. It's called Wholistic Pet Canine Complete (I use the one with Joint Mobility). I order it online. But there are many other good ones out there. Just google enzymes and/or probiotics. Some I like are Solid Gold Seameal (for enzymes) and Ark Naturals Gentle Digest (for probiotics), Prozyme (enzymes), Missing Link (enzymes) and Nupro (enzymes).

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Dogs will often vomit if their stomach is empty. Are you feeding him twice a day? If not, try it. Try giving him treats at night before bed if he is vomiting mostly in the am..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts