Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My mom's dog, Teri, is a 12-year-old Labrador mix.

Dog Canidae Snow Dog breed Schipperke
Black Darkness Labrador retriever Canidae Dog breed

As you can see in the full-body pic here, she has a very large fatty deposit going all the way across her torso. She has had this for a few years, and it never seems to give her pain or impede on her daily hour-long walks.

However, the past year or so, she has been especially fatigued, malaised, sleepy... when I visit, she gets excited, runs up to me, and wags her tail for a half minute, then goes to lay down again for the rest of the day. My mom called today and said that for a couple weeks, she hasn't been able to eat, not even real food (leftover meat). The past couple days, she has been throwing up all of her meals. My mom did some online research and thinks it could be kidney disease, but she was always stubborn about going to the vet.

We have put a few dogs to sleep in our lifetime, but it was always clear cut decisions when they were very old and very sick. This is the first time it's not clear :( We feel bad because Teri is clearly sick and unhappy, but we do not want to make rash decisions.

Now, I know not to ask for medical advice, but as I said, my mom does not want to go the route of spending thousands on tests, medication, potentially even something more invasive, especially since she is 12. She was considering today putting her down soon so she doesn't have protracted pain, but we discussed and decided to give her at least a few weeks. Does anyone have advice on how to approach this difficult subject?

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

·
Super Moderator
3,847 Posts
A halfway decent vet understands that money is an issue for a lot of people. I'd really try to encourage her to get the dog into the vet and to be up front and honest with them about how much she's willing and able to spend - again, most vets understand and will work with her on this. It's totally reasonable not to put an old dog through a bunch of invasive tests and treatments, but without a veterinary professional looking at her, you just don't know what's actually wrong. It could be something really easy and inexpensive to treat, like and infection somewhere. If it's something more severe, at least you have confirmation and better peace of mind that you're making the right choice with euthanasia.

I know it's probably not what your mom wants to hear, but a sick dog really does need medical evaluation, especially at her age.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
She needs to take the dog to the vet. After an exam, she can discuss options with the vet as to diagnosis and/or treatment and/or euthanasia. Just waiting to see if things get better on their own, especially with a dog who has lost their appetite and is vomiting up what little bit they are eating is cruel.

As an aside, my lat Rat Terrier developed kidney disease. I chose to not do extensive treatment, but instead kept him as comfortable for as possible for as long as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update, but my mom and I took her to the vet yesterday and she was euthanized. The vet was certain that it was time.

Thank you for nudging me to go see them as soon as possible. Yesterday was the first time I actually saw Teri while she was unwell, and she looked like she had absolutely no idea what was going on around her.

·
Super Moderator
3,847 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing, and you can at least know that she's not suffering anymore. It's so hard when they can't talk to us and tell us how they feel.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. It was the right thing to do, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.