Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I got an 8 week old Border Collie as my first dog about 4 days ago. The first 2 nights, he slept in the crate fine. The next day, I was sitting with him out on the back porch. He fell asleep, and I sat with him until he woke up. I tried to get him in, and he wouldn't follow. Usually he follows me everywhere I go, but this time he didn't. I tried treats, toys, and other incentives and he wouldn't follow. I eventually carried him in, and put him in his crate, since it was bed time. Then he starts this high pitched whining that didn't stop until about 3 AM, which I assume means he tired himself out from it, and fell asleep. About 10 AM, he woke up, and started wailing again. I took him out on the porch and he was fine. I usually play with him outside, but he's never had this kind of attraction to a certain area of the house. Is this normal?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
my 1st 3 Borders all hated the crates after the 1st few nights of being in them....they would howl and whine and bark and screech and....well, you get the picture.....just stay w/ it and don't give in (give an inch now and he'll have you by the gonads forever:rolleyes:).....what i did was make sure they had a good play session just b/4 bed so they were tired and had their crates right by my bed so i could dangle my fingers in the crate if they whimpered....took about a wk and they were sleeping thru the night just as good as gold and would actually crawl in a crate when they were tired (i have a few set up around the house....

like i mentioned, they really need to be close to their people, so if his crate is not next to/near your bed it'll be harder for him.....another thing that helped w/ my youngest was having a blanket and teddy that smelled like all his littermates, so that when the last one left home and he had his own crate he didn't feel lonely (he was a pup from my bitch).....he had already been sleeping in a crate w/ the litter up till then....

also, being the breed they are, they love the outdoors....the more he gets of it the happier he'll be....get some small tennis balls and start now w/ some fetch....another thing (done very lightly at this young of an age and no jumping) is a flirt pole....works the herding mind.....

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Tilba is the 1st pup I've used a crate with. It was a 6 hr drive to bring her home & she was great & slept all the way except for the 3 stops we made. The 1st few weeks at home she slept in the crate no problems. Then the fun began. She whined, barked & scratched at the crate for ages. I would make sure she didn't have to toilet, then put her back. If it was only me at home I would have let her work it out but my oh & sons who all work got sick of it & each took turns at going out to her. This went on for a couple of weeks & I gave up & let her sleep in what I call the 'dog' room which is our entry room to the back of the house. The trouble is it only has a 1/2 wall on one side & she jumped over a few times into the lounge room which I didn't like. I put up a barrier & that stopped the jumping. Over a year on & she still sleeps in the dog room with no problems. It's also where the other 2 dogs slept as puppies without crates.
I still use the crate in the car & when I'm at the obedience club when I'm taking a class. She doesn't mind being in the crate, in fact I think she likes being in it.
While I was having the problems with her I tried having the radio or tv on but she still made a lot of noise. I even tried sleeping in the loungeroom, which didn't work either. I think if I could have persavered for a week or so she would have accepted sleeping in the crate.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Since getting Sonny, he didn't care for the crate much as well, but like mentioned above, you have to stick with it. They will get used to it. Sonny did the same for a while, but will now go in when I ask him to maybe 75% of the time. The other 25% I pretty much have to make him go in. He used to whine all the time as well, but it's now getting less and less. If he goes in on his own, he doesn't whine, but if I make him, then he usually does, but occasionally doesn't. Just keep up with the schedule, and don't give in. Also, putting the crate near the bed can help as well. I no longer put him in his crate at night, as he's not going potty on the floor at night now. He usually sleeps with me, but if too warm on the bed, then he sleeps on the floor or in his crate with the door open on the plastic tray.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He wasn't too bad last night. I had the crate next to my bed like you suggested. Whined for about ten minutes then stopped. Maybe he's getting used to it quick, or maybe I got lucky. I really hope he gets used to it, I can't do many more sleepless nights.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
He will get used to it, just might take a little time. Sounds like he's starting to get used to it a little, and being closer helps. Also, have you tried a small kong with some peanut butter in it, or cream cheese? Just something that will give him a little work to get it clean, and may just fall asleep when he's done. You wouldn't need to fill it either, just coat the whole inside walls of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts