Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been doing tons of research trying to find a reputable cavachon breeder. all i keep finding are websites like greenfield puppies, cavachons by design, cavachons from monarchy.....does anyone here have any suggestions? i really do not want to get from an irresponsible breeder or a puppy mill. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i shouldnt get this breed at all? people rave about this breed and i feel its a perfect fit for my family. what do you recommend?

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's not a breed - it's a mix. The dogs can have characteristics of either breed, and considering that most breeders who breed those don't bother with testing or picking dogs with good temperament, you can typically get anything.

Research cavaliers and bichons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have been non stop researching the breeds for a while, but for some reason im set on this mix. is there no place to get a cavachon without supporting puppy mills or irresponsible breeding? i spoke to some breeders that sound pretty knowledgeable and professional, but you never know what someone is hiding. i just dont want to do the wrong thing.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Everyone has a differing definition of "responsible breeder." I wouldn't say there are NO responsible breeders breeding mixes, but it's definitely a lot harder to find mix breeders who are up to my personal standards. Cavachons especially might be a problem because there are a LOT of health issues with Cavaliers and it's going to be tough to find a breeder who does all the necessary health tests AND has health testing on the other cavs in the dog's pedigree. And no, you aren't necessarily going to avoid those issues because of "hybrid vigor".

What is it about a cavachon that draws you to that particular mix?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
easily trained. good temperament. we absolutely love the cavalier king charles but we cant deal with shedding, so this seemed like the next best option.

what do you mean by hybrid vigor?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hybrid vigor is a belief that, basically, a mix dog is going to be healthier than a purebred based solely on the fact that it's a mix and there's more genetic variation. But the problem is, if you're starting out with two poorly breed dog with a long line of health issues, the offspring aren't necessarily going to be healthier than the offspring of well bred purebred dogs just by virtue of being a mix. So while in some cases it may be true, I think it's very tricky to use as an argument when the mix isn't necessarily starting out with healthy dogs. I tend to view more of a dog by dog basis than an overarching theory kind of view when I'm looking at getting a dog.

ANYway, you're also not going to be guaranteed a non-shedding dog. Usually with first generation mixes, some of the puppies will take on the non-shedding breed's coat, some will take the shedding breed's coat, and some will get a hybrid mix of both that the groomers I know just absolutely hate. If you're looking to definitely have a non-shedding dog, I would HIGHLY recommend looking at a purebred non-shedding breed OR going through a rescue and finding an older dog that is past their puppy coat so you know exactly what you're getting in terms of coat (and temperament).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
which purebred dog would you recommend similar to the cavachon? i have 5 kids at home with some being under 2, so bringing home a rescue doesnt sit well with me because i can never know the history and if there is any aggression. am i crazy?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Agree with others, you aren't likely to find a truly reputable Cavachon breeder, because cavachons aren't really a breed. They're a mix. A mutt that has been given a fancy name so people will be more likely to buy it. And with a mix, things like the amount of shedding or temperament are completely up in the air. Just because one of the breeds in the mix does not shed does not mean that the mix itself isn't going to shed...

I don't want to say that all mixed-breed breeders are disreputable...but I think most are. They're typically in it for the money and don't care much about the soundness of their breeding stock. What you should look for is a breeder who proves her breeding stock are worthy of breeding in some way, such as doing therapy work, obedience, agility, something. If you go with a mixed breed, they won't do conformation because conformation is for purebreds only, since they can be held to a breed standard, but there are plenty of other venues mixed breeds can participate in. You should go with a breeder who health tests and can provide OFA records, not just a vet's health certificate. This is especially important with Cavaliers, because health issues are rampant in that breed. Dogs should be raised in the home, not in a large kennel facility. You should be able to meet at least the mother dog. Breeders should demonstrate they have a puppy socialization program. Breeders should provide a health guarantee of at least 2 years, and, most importantly (I think) they should stipulate in their contract that they will take the puppy back if for some reason you can't care for it.

Avoid breeders who do not health test the parents of their puppies. Avoid breeders who say their stock has champion bloodlines but their own dogs have no titles to their name. Avoid breeders who charge more money for certain colors. Avoid breeders who breed more than one breed.

Also watch out for brokers. Those are the 'face' of the operations, and although they may make it seem like the puppies are raised in a home, they are typically raised in a puppy mill kennel facility and only trotted out for potential customers.

And, of course there are the BYB who breed their dogs because they're nice and they want to make a little extra money on the side. Generally pretty innocent, but I guess personally I don't really want to be spending $1,000 plus on a puppy that no real thought has gone into when there are millions of pets in need of homes in shelters. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I will be supporting a breeder who cares for their dogs and puts countless hours of thought into their lines and how to better their breed.

There are plenty of actual breeds that meet those requirements and don't shed. Bichon, Havanese, miniature poodle, maltese, lhasa apso, shi tzu. It's never easy to find a reputable breeder, but I think looking at breeds rather than "designer dogs" will help your search greatly!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we are also looking for a dog that wouldnt mind being left in his/her crate for 1-2 hours a day......sometimes the house gets very busy and the dog would need to be in a safe place while attending to homework etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a shihtzu was one of the dogs on our list......where would i find a reputable breeder for a shihtzu?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Greenfield is a puppy broker, I believe. Which is just a middleman for puppy mills. I would definitely advise staying FAR away.

Lillith mentioned some great breeds. I had a mini poodle growing up who was WONDERFUL and I've been looking at a Havanese for my mother and they are nice, sturdy little dogs. They seem to be really popular around my area at the moment.

Most dogs and puppies won't have a problem with 1-2 hours in a crate, though for any puppy you get you should do crate training to make sure the crate is an enjoyable and nice place that the dog doesn't mind being in.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
any thoughts on greenfield puppies?
That is a puppy mill. So, so much a puppy mill, or a broker (think middle man) for puppy mills at the very least. Here are some red flags:

1. Numerous breeds. Way to many.

2. "...designer breeds and more." No.

3. 30 day health guarantee. That is not much. Most genetic issues pop up around 2 years old, which is why reputable breeders offer a 2 year health guarantee, typically.

4. The repeated "customer testimonial" that this is not a puppy mill. Lol.

5. From the websites FAQ page, under "Are we a puppy mill?" :
If we find a breeder to be in violation of state breeding laws, we will discontinue advertising for that breeder.
State laws are woefully inadequate for dog breeding. As long as their cages are clean, they are fed, watered, and sheltered, its fine. Dogs are social creatures and need special attention paid to their early socialization. No state laws regulate the temperament or care that goes into choosing breeding stock.

Just...so, so many red flags. I absolutely would not go there for a puppy.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
a shihtzu was one of the dogs on our list......where would i find a reputable breeder for a shihtzu?
For any purebred dog that you're looking at, the breed club is the best place to start for finding a reputable breeder. I believe for the Shih Tzu it's the American Shih Tzu Club (http://shihtzu.org)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i found a breeder that seems to check off all the requirements you mentioned. they have a 2 year health guarantee, they take the puppy back if it cant be cared for, they only breed with vet checked healthy dogs (bichon is the mom and cavalier is the dad), they do bio sensory excercises from early on and the pups are socialized in the home as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is a puppy mill. So, so much a puppy mill, or a broker (think middle man) for puppy mills at the very least. Here are some red flags:

1. Numerous breeds. Way to many.

2. "...designer breeds and more." No.

3. 30 day health guarantee. That is not much. Most genetic issues pop up around 2 years old, which is why reputable breeders offer a 2 year health guarantee, typically.

4. The repeated "customer testimonial" that this is not a puppy mill. Lol.

5. From the websites FAQ page, under "Are we a puppy mill?" : State laws are woefully inadequate for dog breeding. As long as their cages are clean, they are fed, watered, and sheltered, its fine. Dogs are social creatures and need special attention paid to their early socialization. No state laws regulate the temperament or care that goes into choosing breeding stock.

Just...so, so many red flags. I absolutely would not go there for a puppy.
ok you made that decision very easy. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i found a breeder that seems to check off all the requirements you mentioned. they have a 2 year health guarantee, they take the puppy back if it cant be cared for, they only breed with vet checked healthy dogs (bichon is the mom and cavalier is the dad), they do bio sensory excercises from early on and the pups are socialized in the home as well.
"Vet checked" is usually not up to my personal standard of reputable breeder. I would want OFA records on health testing for both parents, especially the Cavalier.

Here are the recommended heath tests for a cavalier: Cavalier

And here are the ones for a Bichon: Bichon

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
What's the website?

Also, like I mentioned before, there is not guarantee a mixed breed is non-shedding, since that is one of their requirements.

And vet checked means very little. You want OFA health records, searchable by breeder name, I think. https://www.ofa.org
You can even check which screenings your puppy's parents should have. For Cavs, once again, screening is so very important because dogs have died very young because of them!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.